Wooden Decks, thumbs up or thumbs down?

I am am armor guy starting out on ships. I see the better builders opting for wooden decks.
I want to try a set and know little about them.
Are there better brands to buy from that are more accurate?
Are there any installation issues I should know about ahead of time?
Are there any not to do’s?
What should I be asking that I haven’t realized yet?

2 Likes

I like them because I suck at painting decks realistically.

For instillation I would not trust the adhesive that comes with the deck. It has a nasty habit of failing and the deck raising. I have used modpodge with no ill effects thus far.

One thing to consider is that as thin as the wooden deck is, its still has thickness so that will effect any thing on the deck when it comes to its height above deck. That being said, I haven’t had any major issues.

1 Like

Proper placement is important before starting to press down. Make sure the wood deck contours and cut-outs match kit features like turret barbettes, superstructure bulkheads, and raised deck detail. Once you have firmly pressed the deck down to adhere, you will find it very difficult to impossible to re-position it without damaging the thin wood. Good luck with your first one.
:grinning: :canada:

1 Like

Looks like a cartoon half-eaten fish skeleton! :grin: :smile_cat:

1 Like

:smile_cat: :smile_cat: :smile_cat: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey Greg,

some great advice here from our fellow ship wrights…

I have used a few now and fwiw, generally there’s usually only one (sometimes two) brand per ship type, so there’s little choice depending on subject you’ve chosen to model.

As for tips, as with all things modelling-patience and taking your time is essential.

I’ve found laying down a coat of primer on the plastic helps the adhesion process too, and if you get any lifting, thin CA carefully run under the deck (only a tiny amount of course) can help to bond it into position.

I also tend to apply a clear gloss coat the deck prior to fitting it to the ship, to seal it and protect it during the build, and then as the build gets to it’s finish, I apply a clear matt coat (over the entire ship), but this is all personal preference of course.

There’s usually spares/offcuts in the sets, so it’s possible to have a practice on some spare plastic sheet first, before having a go at the actual kit :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I want to thank you for responding to my questions. Sounds like, in some ways, applying resin zimmeret to a tank hull. The kit has been ordered and now to find a deck. I think there are several manufacturers that make a wooden deck for the Tsesarevich. The search begins.

1 Like

A good place to start your search… https://www.google.ca/search?q=wood+deck+for+tsesarevich&sxsrf=AOaemvLUuDQsZRTtCfl5RqL5vBMbMAwniQ:1643041906086&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiOxqaJ6Mr1AhWjlWoFHW1IAYoQ_AUoAXoECAIQAw&biw=1777&bih=841&dpr=0.9

1 Like