Your happiest model kit finds?

What are your happiest model kit finds?

With all the talk of new releases in this new hobby golden age, thought it would be interesting to reflect on a few nostalgia finds from the past.

1. At the top of my list would be a 1970’s, mail order from a magazine for a Heller 1/400 KM Scharnhorst. I didn’t know WW2 ship kits were available in that large of scale until seeing it advertised.

1. Finding Revell’s 1969 “429 Corvette” kit as a new release unexpectedly in a hobby shop back in the day.

Provided many great laughs entirely at Revell’s expense at model club and car club since Chevrolet’s 1969 vette had a 350 or a 427 v8 engine. Eventually, Revell fixed the screw up. The 429 v8 being a popular Ford engine.

1. Mail ordering a 1/48 MPC Space 1999 Hawk kit. The Hawk had proved one of those elusive kits back in the day.

3 Likes

I’d like to find a 429 Corvette in my garage…

Happiest kit find was the 1/48 revell f-15e strike eagle when it seemed to be out of print and that at a really good price.

3 Likes

Mine would have to be the F3H Demon from Az model kits. I was home at Christmas and found this old kit on a 30% off sale. This is a great value for a long OOP kit with tons of resin and PE. My excitement turned to angst, when upon opening the kit the PE aaa missing. Miraculously AZ model kits still had PE for this kit and sent it for free.

IMG_4046

Really cool find of a kit of a really neat navy bird

5 Likes

Berlin. 1984. Also where I read 1984 for the first time but that’s a different story.

I started working on a Shot’ Kal based on a three view painting from a coffee table book on the IDF. I needed a Tamiya Centurion. I visited at least three hobby shops before I found it in Werken Spielen Schenken in Steglitz. Then found another almost around the corner in another small shop. Finally finished both in 1996.

3 Likes

Speaking of German hobby shops-back in the mid '80’s there was one right at the edge of the red light district in Nuremberg!

3 Likes

I was in and around Nuremburg 88-90 :laughing: :laughing: and hit Berlin up 89-90

2 Likes

Did you go to the Wall?!

3 Likes

A regular twofer, huh?

4 Likes

You bet

2 Likes

I’m gonna need two hands for this. Hold this between those while I super glue this part on there…

3 Likes

Yes, I got to see the wall and checkpoint Charlie, funny thing only model kit I remember building was a tiger 1 around 87–89-time frame

2 Likes

I don’t know if you could call this my happiest kit finds. Maybe most fortunate kit finds. I went to a random Estate Sale just from a street sign. I found Heller’s 1/100 HMS Victory for $25! Still in the shrink wrap!!! This kit runs in the $300 neighborhood. While I don’t build ships I’ve got a buddy who is real good at it (see his work in Madison) So, I swapped it for 4 Dragon kits. A good deal for both of us.

3 Likes

A M5 HST 1/35 resin kit from Cromwell Models in a militaria fair !
Never seen one before or after !

eric

2 Likes

Some might consider this a good find:

Or is the drastic price cut due to the dreaded Black Label?

3 Likes

This was much reviled by some when it came out but it wasn’t that bad; it was also the only game in town apart from some very expensive resin kits. Some of the contours could have been better ditto some of the details but to my mind did not deserve the opprobrium heaped upon it.

Amusing Hobby’s versions didn’t arrive until around a year later but of course we didn’t know it was coming.

I would consider it a good find(!)

3 Likes

My wife found a Revell Kit #4911 “Launch Tower & Space Shuttle & Booster Rockets” in 1:144 scale at a thrift shop. It’s pretty cool but I doubt I’ll be building it in my lifetime due to small house and space constraints.

3 Likes

Odd that the happiest was one I was not going to buy. As a kid, my first Tamiya kit was their Su 100, motorized and rubber band tracked. 50 odd years ago. I found one this year. What a surprise.
If you know the kit, you know why I didn’t buy it. Two sprues only. By today’s standards it was terrible. I already have a Dragon Su 100 so, no going back.

2 Likes

Love that box art.

2 Likes