Zvezda t-62

“Kurt is correct. There are faint marks on a couple of links” - BUZZKILLERS!!!

Seriously, I did miss that, thanks for the correction!

Just waiting for a combination of time off and decent weather to get some paint on this bad boy! (all my work is done on the kitchen table and the painting on the porch)

1 Like

Nothing worse than finishing a build and having something like that staring at you after it’s too late to do anything about it. :grin: :grin:

1 Like

Once in place, see how it looks. The marks may be covered with a roadwheel and not matter. If any are still visible, a little strategically placed dirt or mud will take care of it. If the plan is to do something like the reference photo, the tracks would be covered with dirt anyway.
Ken

I bought the Tamiya T-62 several years ago, as well as a Verlinden correction set. Armed with a Kalmbach article on correcting the shape errors (including the hull), I struggled through to get a correct T-62. Then came the Trumpeter kits but I couldn’t get one after the work I had put into the Tamiya/Verlinden kit. But now I believe I will get the Zvesda kit after the stupid Putin’s Ukrainian war is over.

Bill

William I have the old Tamiya kit too with verlinden update sets as well, also an old Chesapeake model designs turret which I think has shape problems like the Tamiya kit but I will be doing it up as a destroyed Syrian tank at the valley of tears diorama at some point lol. I also have at least one trumpeter kit but have heard great things about the zvezda kit and want one …. We’ll see.

I wish that Tamiya had waited until the T-62 was actually in production before producing their model. They did the same thing with their first kit of the Leopard I.

The T-62 was first introduced in 1961. I think it was publicly revealed in 1964 or thereabouts. IIRC the Tamiya model dates from the '70s, so there were at least a few years. I think a more likely answer is that intelligence about the T-62 was less accessible when the model was designed.

The interval between when the Leopard 1 was introduced & when Tamiya designed their model was less, so there is validity there.

The Tamiya Leopard I kit dates from 1969. The Leopard I entered service in 1965. So it’s not a case of them basing their kit off of a prototype.

Back then, people didn’t care as much.

Back then, the amount of information available was very limited, even on things like Shermans that had long before been put on pads at VFWs. For new vehicles the information that was out there was usually promotional and ceremonial shots that featured the prototypes, even years after production had started, so that’s what got modeled. With Soviet stuff, you were talking about maybe 25 photos to design a tank kit.

Back then, I really believe, people in the model world were just not as skilled as picking out differences. Modelers were way ahead of the public by recognizing 75mm and 76mm Shermans and three types of Panzer IVs, short barrel, long barrel, and tanks with skirts, but the concept that tanks made by different factories or at different times with the same model number could look different was unfathomable.

KL

2 Likes

Thanks for the corrections and elaborations! That proves the dictum that one should not believe what one is told . . .

Bill

Back when it came out, the Tamiya T-62 was considered a great kit, it was also the only kit in production of a Soviet/Russian tank. As for references, check out this book by Steve Zaloga:

Published in 1983, this was one of the better books available, by one of the top names in the field. The only color photo in the entire book is the cover, everything else is (often) low quality black and white. There are exactly three photos of the T-62 in the book. There are two photos of the T-64, and eight (one of them censored) of the T-72. Thats it, out of a total of 116 photos. This was my main reference for many years, and what I used to build my scratch built T-72.
The information simply was not there at that time.
Ken

I remember that book. It’s a doable challenge to get an accurate model out of the Tamiya kit but it can be done. I’m curious about how that would look next to a Zvesda T-62 on the shelf . . .

Bill

Ok so here is the latest bit…and it’s alotta bit (yes I’m Southern US, have a drawl, an use slang, so keep up)

Well I don’t really have pics but I have been using those small cans of Flat Black Krylon from Hobby Lobby. I primed it black a week ago, and today sat down to work. Remember, I want to do this particular camo scheme:

(https://i.imgur.com/jDzg2jC.jpg[/img)]

Now I hope the rivet-counters will cut me slack here, mostly because this is the earliest model T-62, not the 1973 as shown in the pic. Also, I am taking considerable artistic license in painting in this scheme, but this is what I really wanted, so I went with it.

I dee-cided to roll with masking this. This would mean I had to think in terms not of lightest to darkest, but in fields (Least first, most last). To that end I first laid a light coat of Flat White, combines with some Ivory White, letting the black primer bleed thru for some simple moderation:

Next up came the masking. And what better way than to use Silly Putty!

So maybe I over-bought…. Any-hoo, I started cutting and rolling, cutting and rolling, and masking away. The fender and hull represent 1 solid hour, but the turret represents another 90 minutes on it’s own…HOO-WHEEE!

So I then went at it with some of my remaining Model Master Russian armor green, when I did again a small amount (Maybe too small) of modulation. All the above represented some 5 hours of time today, but when I unwrapped my prize, I have to say, ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT!

So now it’s on to final assembly and cleanup. I couldn’t be more pleased with the butt-ugliness of this particular guy, thanks fer lookin, and y’all keep 'em straight out there!

9 Likes

That looks amazing! Great job!

Great job!

Bill

Looks fantastic Bruce ! I too have always wanted to do that scene since I first came across that picture. That silly putty works great; I have some and have used it to do a few camo patterns. Excellent job!

Very nice technique for the camo. Well done

So it’s been a bit, but with the summer semester giving me additional time, I was able to get something done on this today.

Basically final assembly, along with pin washes, some weathering washes on the top, and “mud” paint on the lower running gear.

12 Likes

Is this supposed to be the original type 62 from 1961?

The kit has several features from various years, 1961-67, pretty much like a tank built in 1961-1962 and upgraded and overhauled over the years. All-in-all it has more 1963 and earlier features than 1964 and later features.

KL