1/1000 USS Defiant

Here is by build log of the Polar lights 1/1000 USS Defiant. Im currently watching season 3 of Star Trek Deep Space 9 and finally decided to get a model of the Defiant. I’ve wanted to get one for awhile but seeing it in action in DS9 made me get it. I ordered it off Amazon earlyer today and should have it in 4-6 days. I may or may not add lights to it.

5 Likes

Looking forward to seeing this.
I have two of the bigger AMT kits from years ago. Planned on building one as an experimental refit with a roll bar and weapons pod. Like the Defiant needs more firepower!

1 Like

nice to see someone build a trek kit for a change, it’s something I’ve never done.

The kit arrived today!
Its a really nice kit with very crisp sharp details. Also the decals look very thin and well printed.
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

1 Like

I hope your decals are better than ones in my Romulan Bird-of-Prey. They were thin, stiff and cracked on contact with the surface of the model. They were also resistant to setting solutions. Cost me a small fortune to get a replacement set by JT graphics shipped over from the US. I’ve had the same issue with other Polar Lights and AMT reissues. I don’t know who is doing their decals, but they are awful. Look very nice, but impossible to work with. They may have fixed this in more recent kits as it’s a known problem. I would test something first. Is there an optional decal on the sheet you can try?
I’m going to test a couple of different clear coats over the left over decals from that BoP. See if I can find something that will make them easier to work with as I hay several of their kits still to build.

The plastic however looks amazing. Very nice panel detailing.

2 Likes

Thanks for the warning Stephen, I’ll see if there is a optional decal. Worse comes to worse I can toss most of the panel decals and paint them myself and use only the registry.

Here is what the kit looks like all dry fit together.
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
The kits fits together like a glove and looks very nice! The clear parts are really nice and will make light installation very easy!

5 Likes

Just wanted to give you a heads up based on my own experience. I really do hope they have fixed them.
Does it include clear parts for the engines?
That’s only let down of the bigger kit they did, everything was solid plastic!

1 Like

Yes it does include them.

1 Like

That’s cool!
Would make a nice little kit to light up with a couple of micro LED’s.

Yes it is! Plus the Defiant looks a bit more intimidating with them!

That’s look a very nice project :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for checking it out @Vicious!
Hope to get my hands on some lights tomorrow.

Ok I was able to find some string lights for super cheap on eBay that should work with the Defiant perfectly.

All I need to do is get some hollow acrylic rod to run the cord into, and the battery box will fit under the big base very well.

I also ordered Tamiya Transparent Red and blue for the clear parts.

I should have them in 5-7 days.

2 Likes

The clear blue and lights arrived today. I just sprayed the inside of the Def with black to prevent bleed through. I should have pictures soon.

Wiring all done.
Imgur
It looks like a big mess (Which it is…) But It works!
More soon!

4 Likes

That is very interesting, Ezra…looking forward to seeing it with paint
and decals.
Cheers,

1 Like

Thanks Joe!

Some more work done.
The defiant is now built and primed.
Imgur

And testing the lights…
Imgur
Imgur
Engage warp 6!
Imgur
Navigational array. (The Basar collectors will be painted Red.)
Imgur

More soon!

9 Likes

Now that is even cooler!..I like it.
Cheers,

1 Like

Ooh, the lights are on! :heart_eyes:

How are the decals going, or are you painting?