1/25 AMT 1991 Silverado 454 SS

These trucks have always been an interest of mine as they were a sleek looking truck with an out with an “in your face” and bold appearance. Although not fast by any means with 230 horsepower, they were aggressive looking, were among the fastest O.E.M. trucks out there at the time and they set the stage for the muscle trucks that followed in the years to come. I actually had a personal reference as I have a 1994 Silverado to pattern alot of the detailing after. It took me around 5 months to complete this one with most of the challenges being paint and the ending assembly of installing the body onto the frame. With a few pitfalls to work around it was a good kit to work with overall.

5 Likes

Hells yeah! Welcome to the Kitmaker Network. That truck looks clean. Did you chop the rear cab?

1 Like

Man, there’s keys in the ignition

1 Like

Beautiful clean build, great paint job and a tough looking truck!

And a “Hot Rod” magazine on the floor. Really nice touches!

Cheers, D

2 Likes

Joseph,
Now there’s one absolutely eye grabbing Silverado 454 SS build for sure. Love the interior as you really nailed the look so that it in no way looks like painted plastic. The engine compartment detail painting is amazing. just looking at the windshield washer tank you can see the fluid level. Everything looks as it should look.

And your paint, gloss finish, and polish out is top flight for sure.

Joel

1 Like

Thanks kosprueone, D and Joel.

I really went all out on this build since I have an older Silverado myself.

383 Stroker Motor, Still TBI injection (50mm unit w/ 454 Fuel Injectors) on top of a Stage II 4 barrel intake manifold, Vortec heads, I went with the biggest cam I could use with TBI, tweeked 4L60 auto tranny, added a 2200 rpm stall converter and 4:10 gears with a locker. The only things that give anything away visually is the cowl hood and the 454 SS sport mirrors (and I can’t really get around the 2 1/2" exhaust with 40 series Flowmasters). She’s got 426,000 miles on her. Fun truck.

2 Likes

That is boss!

1 Like

Yeah, totally!

1 Like

Thanks KS. At Christmas I got the green light to get what I’ve REALLY always wanted for this truck…

A 4 bolt main Mark IV 454. Now…just have to acquire the 4L80 transmission and some nasty parts for the engine.

1 Like

Beautiful build.
Can you upload the pics onto the Automodeler content site for a front page feature please.
AutoModeler
Andy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Ken and Andy.

Andy: I’ll get over there and post these up as soon as I can

1 Like

I love the truck! Impressive mileage at 426,000 miles :slight_smile: Looks well cared for and well love.

Much Respect+

My 91 RS was a 305 TBI & 700R4 that went ~400,000 miles as my daily driver for 25 years :slight_smile: My RS got an 383 LS swap & restoration a few years ago.

Initially was going to post about the very nice model Silverado 454 SS…well done!. Looks exactly like the new Silverado 454 SS did back in the day om the dealer lot when I bought my RS. A++

1 Like

Really nice work. The keys, washer fluid and attention to the interior are great.

1 Like

Joseph,

That 454 should really haul your truck in fine style. So now we all know why the price of oil, gas, and home heating oil is going up daily. :money_mouth_face:

joel

1 Like

Thank you guys for all the really swell comments. Sorry I haven’t been around here much as of late. Since the freeze here in South Texas I’ve been working at the refinery 7 days a week, 10 hours a day trying to help get things back in the swing of things. Total mess on the plant and then putting up with people that panic at a moments whim. Freezes for a few days around here and folks go crazy at the grocery store. No eggs, no milk, no bread, no meats…of any kind.
While I was in the store in the middle of all of this last week (just to check on eggs and milk) a lady came over the loud speaker and announced that the bread delivery truck had just delivered bread if anyone wanted any to form a line along the meat isle and they would be handing out bread one loaf per customer. People were running to form a line. One lady was pulling her husbands arm yelling to him, “COME ON!! HURRY!!! LET’S GET IN LINE!!”. The whole freeze event (never got below 22 degrees) lasted for 3 days.