1/25 AMT Dan Gurney Lotus Racer

Saw this over on another site: 1/25 AMT #1288, Dan Gurney’s Lotus Race Car, coming in 2022:

Jim

1 Like

Jim,
The kit is the very old AMT 1/25 scale kit of the Gurney #93 Lotus Indy 500. I googled it and the release date seems to be 1976. I found one on a site listed for $89.

joel

Joel,

That doesn’t seem surprising that it’s an old mold. Other than the International Transtar 4070A, Round2 doesn’t do new models. New tooling to old molds yes, but nothing really new. Some how I think those high prices that they’re getting on eBay won’t last much longer.

As I understand it, this in a 1963 or 1964 Lotus 29. It’s a cool looking car, though. I’d like to see them release some of the “newer” Indy cars (1970s). I think Revell’s cars were 1990s, so those would be nice to have, too. I don’t think Indy cars are big sellers, so I don’t expect JR Salvinos to CAD up a model of the current Indy cars; however, if they did I’d get at least one!

Jim

1 Like

I had this in it’s Matchbox release in the late '60s. For the U.K. the artwork was for Jim Clark’s green-and-yellow “92” 1963 Lotus 29, which colours were ironically worn by Gurney’s “93” for many years until a recent restoration. The Matchbox version also had parts to depict the similar 1964 Lotus 34 with a DOHC version of the motor, I don’t know which version the gearbox is correct for.

Regards,

M

Tom & Jim,
If indeed the kit is reissued in 2022 for a decent price (screw those ebay guys that are trying to suck us cash bone dry), I’m in for two kits for a duel build. I want to build both the Gurney and the Clark cars:
IMG_0261-Edit
The issue with the kit is that the nose clip is wrong making the car to short and the wrong shape. But Michael at Indy Cals has a detail set to correct that with a resin nose, a correct vacuum form windshield, and the correct shaped resin wheels and tires. The detail set isn’t cheap at $38 each, but I’m in for two of them as well. The bonus is that Michael includes the correct decals for each car:
IMG_0267
Looking at the yellow on the decal sheet, it’s completely different then the Yellow on Clark’s car, so I’m assuming that the decals are directly over the BRG., or I just might paint it as I still have full bottles of Zero’s Lotus Green and Yellow
Joel

1 Like

Thanks for the info, Joel. If I do get on of these cars, I’ll probably not spring for the Indy Cals correction set. I like the white & blue car, but the green & yellow one looks great, too. Oh, decisions, decisions!

Jim

1 Like

Give in. Build all four!*

*Assuming the Lotus 34 options are still there…

Regards,

M

Tom,
If indeed the optional parts for the Lotus 34 as still included, looks like I’ll be either buying a 3rd Indy Cal conversion set as the nose would still be wrong. This is really starting to add up dollar wise, but so be it, I’m in for the full ride.

joel