1/35 IDF Para Six Day War

55th Reserve Parachute Brigade, Jerusalem 1967

1/35 from HD Models.
I picked this up at World Model Expo in July last year.

You have to add a few details yourself, but a great figure. That paints up looking like a Ron Volstad illustration!

Some of this was a pain and stressful (two attempts to make and attach the coiled lead from handset to radio :crazy_face::crazy_face:) and some bits I really enjoyed as they bought the figure to life!

I needed to add a few details:
Uzi strap
Radio handset coil
Antenna
Chinstrap holding handset
Rope holding radio on packboard
Vertical stripe on helmet

Hope you like it.

23 Likes

Looks great!!

1 Like

Wow, absolutely amazing work. The camo uniform is particularly well done, the lizard pattern is super hard to recreate realistically… Beautiful figure altogether.

Wow!
Mario

1 Like

That’s beautiful work there Rob! Excellent job on all aspects- flesh tones, uniform and equipment. I gotta get this figure!

Thanks!
This is my second lizard pattern I’ve painted. I did a French 1 REP para in Algiers a while back. Did a darker base on this version. I do have some amazing references for it though. A photo of several jackets showing variations in colour was very useful (to stop me worrying too much!!!) and some great drawings showing the layers of camo separated!

It’s a great figure, of a subject ignored a bit I think - but I guess it’s a very figure centric conflict In Jerusalem itself.

2 Likes

@robh what are the colors you used and from
What manufacturer?

1 Like

The figure is from HD Models in Italy.

The colour for the camo? The base I’ll have to double check…but anything from an apple green to a sand colour is valid. The stripes are Ak Gen3 red brown plus black and Vallejo Reflective Green plus black.

2 Likes

That’s a handy figure, very useful. Great work on this little guy!

@robh thank you, i have a whole halftrack set that i want to paint like this

1 Like

Beautiful work there Rob- the way you have him painted he does indeed look like a Ron Volstad piece! The way you have the radio handset hooked on round his face is a really neat touch.

1 Like

Yeah I have some of those references too and they’re very helpful . I did an old Verlinden foreign legion bust in that camo and it came ok. I have an AC Models French Foreign Legion para bust I’d like to do as well. You do have a lot of variation in the base color as well as the other colors. Again beautiful job Rob.

1 Like

How many times did I shoot with the UZI during my army time? 100 times, 200 times? I don’t know.

1 Like

The more I look at the figure, the more I like it. Wonderful job once again.

Mario

1 Like

Damn Rob, that’s a real head-turner! The execution of the lizard-pattern is amazing!

1 Like

This is beautiful.

1 Like

Looks excellent with the subtle camouflage. The antennae with two different thicknesses looks really cool.

1 Like

Thanks Peter.
Very pleased with how the antenna turned out. I didn’t want to go down the stretched sprue route and learnt the PRC25 Ariel came in 3 foot lengths. So used some brass wire (about 2 inches scale length for 2 x 3 foot lengths) and dipped one end in Mr Surfacer, let it dry, redipped until I could put it in a pinvice and sand it to shape for the thicker part joining the radio…then obviously some careful painting

1 Like

Nice work, Rob, great camo pattern. I have grown to “hate” camo patterns after the “Battle of the Tartans”, go figure, right? HA!