1/35 M4A2 Sherman (Zvezda)

Shermans make me happy… I suppose I’ll buy one too, just because it’s a Sherman.

3 Likes

Just bought this last night at my LHS and have been following a thread on Instgram with some Russian modelers doing this kit . Did a quick look and it seems pretty solid, not sure what I’m going to do with it as I have an early resin turret from Verlinden inbound so maybe I’ll skip their turret, swap it from the other kit that will end up with the Verlinden one… Plan to swap out light guards with some spare photo etch or from the parts box, they are pretty thick but it looks like they include the spare bulb container molded on which I thought was a nice touch. Overall I think its a solid kit and looking forward to building it, will follow your build for guidance too.

Any info about what is wrong with the turret?

Thanks

I’ve read the shape of the rear of it is too pointed or something like that. I guess Fury Models has a replacement turret for it already. I imagine I’ll get it because I like all things Eastern Front and a lend-lease Sherman would be pretty cool to have. If I do, I might sand the rear of the turret a little, but maybe not even that.

Great subject. I can’t wait to see the end result.

Where is the problem, here?

1 Like

Hopefully there will be more photos tomorrow to compare. Turret shell for Zvezda M4A2 - Fury Models - Missing-Lynx

1 Like

Thanks, but still I wanted it out of the box, so maybe I will correct the shape, if there is more info :slight_smile:

Cheers!

I hear yeah, wasn’t trying to move you that way. Just providing information.

It appears they moved and rotated the loaders hatch a slight distance. They added texture and the curves look softer on the turret.

1 Like

The Fury turret photos have been posted. You can see some curve differences. As for buying, it all depends on what is important to the modeler.

The turret looks very nice, thanks!

Some progress of the assembly, nothing is glued yet. I will try to correct the shape of the turret slightly with Magic sculpt.
So far very good fit of the parts :+1:

There are two options for the muzzle end, but it is not very clear for me which is for what?
They seem similar:

3 Likes

Yes, the shape of the bustle looks off. The corners and edges do not look rounded off enough, the bottom looks too low, and the top look too flat/level. The edges and corners are easy enough to fix with some sanding.

3 Likes

Great start!

I’m buying this kit next month but IMHO and please don’t take offense, but that turret is an automatic throw away for me, there is so much wrong with the bustle shape and the entire moulding around the commanders hatch area on the right side of the turret is absolutely misshapen. The amount of time it would take to correct it is just crazy. Fortunately for me I have few spare high bustle plastic turrets from the old Tamiya kits that I can use. I understand why the Russian modeling sites were so disappointed about the turret, but like said previously, I feel the rest of the kit is definitely worth the price :slight_smile:

The barrel end A3 looks like the flared barrel end found on early Sherman’s. I wouldn’t use it.

Minarm makes a replacement turret however, I see a lot on the hull that needs work. The welds should all be raised, but more importantly the casting section for the roof of the driver and co-drivers areas should be bulged upwards, not flat as represented by the kit.

It seems that the appeal of this kit are the tracks and the low cost, but by the time you order an accurate turret and upper hull, you would spend about as much for something from Asuka. Unless of course you want to do the work yourself.

1 Like

Thanks for the answers!

Venko, let us know how the kit goes together and what you impression is regarding the details and quality of moldings. Zvezda seemed to have really picked up their game in the past 2 years or so which is great. I bought their new T-34/76 cast turret and the SU-122, but have not built them yet.

Hope you have a great tiime putting this one together.

Cheers!

chuck

Hi,

Molding is very good, yes, there are inaccuracies, but overall is nice model out of the box for the price :wink:
So far the fit of the parts is without issues.

I’m searching now for M4A2’s from the Pacific theatre, very interesting additional armor they have :slight_smile:
Cheers!

1 Like

Stiple, stiple :slight_smile:
Texture with Mr.Surfacer 500, also I did small correction with Magic sculp on the rear of the turret.

If you have any interesting suggestions for a Pacific M4a2 Late, please share :wink:

3 Likes