1/35 t-80 wip

I love verlindens figures from that time period they were excellent. Can’t wait to see it done!

1 Like

@metalhead85 yeah I’m just trying to figure out how to pose them on the tank. I also have and volition miniature modern Russian soldier that’s made for sitting on a tank. He is more for a Chechnya dio tho.

Also the instructions call for the side skirts and mud skirts to be painted black, was this common?

I mean I would think they would be painted the same color as the tank. But if the paint flacked off it would show the rubber (Black, dark grey) of the side skirts.

@Panzer_modeler i was thinking maybe it was a darker green or like a protective NC 1200 color but to be honest i have no idea when that color would have been applied to Russian armor.

I thought they were a heavy rubber material. Check some reference photos

1 Like

Im not 100% sure either, I think Rich is right though.

@metalhead85 all the reference photo I’ve seen seem to show them in the base color as well or in the camo pattern of the vehicle.

@Panzer_modeler thank you for the photo that looks a lot better and appears to be a rubber/ black color mix which i can pull off.

1 Like

Glad to help.

1 Like

Some of the videos I’m watching on YouTube show a plain green tank with black side skirts and front and rear rubber mud guards. The video says East Germany

1 Like

The side skirts could be left in their rubber color, or painted.

I know this one is not a BV, but it’s shows a typical Soviet T-80 for Cold War appearance

2 Likes

Gregory, it seems that some were overpainted and some were left in the material colour - ie black; see the BRIXMIS picture below (borrowed from their site):

@Stikpusher that first picture is the best, looks as if it has the regular rubber look with the natural weathering. Thanks for the photos to you and @BootsDMS.
I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the T-80s in East Germany weren’t heavily camouflaged but more of a green over all look and probably had minimum chipping.

Aside from Afghanistan, and winter whitewash during winter exercises, the Soviets did not do much camo painting on their AFVs until very late in the Cold War. The vast majority of stuff in East Germany was overall green.

@Stikpusher that’s easy then, I guess green works well on the plains. But now that you mention it you don’t really see Russians camo there vics until Afghanistan. I’ll be honest They have some weird modern patterns too and i only found that out when i bought the ammo modern paint set.

Did some research on Russian colors and here’s some free chicken i found from ammo Mig .

https://www.migjimenez.com/img/cms/PDF/russian-greens-leaflet.pdf

This leaflet breaks down the greens that would of been used and the time period for each color. Many colors overlap each other which is nice. The protective Nc 1200 green is actually new and was on the T-14 and i believe the T-90 for parades.

1 Like

Wow that’s some reference. Some of those greens look very close in shade.

1 Like

@metalhead85 yeah that’s what i said, and if you look at the spg pics there’s three of them in different shades

Yeah you mentioned the overlap of time periods

1 Like

Got to do a little work on the T-80 today. Just finished up marrying the upper and lower haul and finally felt like the turret should go up for a quick mock up…

I’m not sure if I’ll use all three of the figure or not, the drivers hatch looks like it’ll be to constricted unless i decide to have the turret in a position other then the 12 O’clock.

3 Likes

So far so good bro

1 Like