1/35 US 82nd Airborne, D-Day

My best friend in the Army, a friendship that lasted more than forty five years, spent his life collecting airborne artifacts from World War II. He turned the basement of his house in Kensington, Maryland into an airborne museum, wrote two books on the subject, and later when he moved to North Carolina recreated that museum in the basement of his new home. He passed away last year after an extended illness. Seeing the wonderful work done on this figure, made me recall him and all the wonderful times we had together. I miss him so much. Thank you for reminding me of the wonderful friendship we shared. I am grateful

3 Likes

Wow. I’m humbled that my post has reminded you of your friend. What a great friendship and I bet his collection was an amazing thin to behold!

Today’s update.

After the laces, I’m fully into the use of coloured epoxy (magic sculpt in this case)

I added black putty to the M1C harness on the helmet liner to represent buckles. My guy has removed the leather chin strap.
Some khaki paint was added to make the M1 canvas straps dangling. Attached with white glue while still soft, I used brushes to manipulate them into position. I even added some black fittings…
Finally I used brown putty to create the string holding his M3 knife at his ankle…

7 Likes

Stunning. One of the best figures I’ve seen.

One small thing…my eye is drawn to his oversized left thumb every time. Is there a way to thin that down?

1 Like

Thank you @Spitfire
And an excellent observation! I had spotted that, and was ignoring it, but a friend had said there was something odd about that thumb…and being the perfectionist I am, I’ve attempted to do something, which was terrifying given he’s so close to completing……

8 Likes

I think you’ve nailed it!

Normandy wall, anyone?

5 Likes

And pretty much finished….base is inspired by the photo….and I spent ages looking at modern colour photos of the walls in the area…

14 Likes

Looks awesome Rob! :+1::+1:

1 Like

As I said before Rob, outstanding!

1 Like

Are the patches from Gecko?

1 Like

Yes they are. They were very delicate…first flag disintegrated so literally dipped it briefly in water second time. They were attached to rolled out epoxy putty as I wanted them to look more patch like than “painted” on

1 Like

So it was the epoxy that gave it the thickness. Nice!

1 Like

Yes…I added some paint to the epoxy as I mixed it, and trimmed the epoxy once the decal was on. Quite effective.

2 Likes

Superb Rob. Just outstanding work.

That sure is fantastic work!

1 Like

Excellent work, Rob!

1 Like

Cheers Steve.

Great looking figure! Awesome job!

1 Like

This is an inspiration for me!

1 Like