1/350 USS Carl Vinson CVN-70 Circa 1983

Hello everyone, New member here. This is a model I completed a few years ago. I used the Trumpeter USS Nimitz kit and converted it to the USS Carl Vinson CVN-70. This represents how she was at the start of her maiden deployment on March 1, 1983. This deployment was a World Cruise starting in Norfolk Virginia and ending in San Francisco California. The project took 9 months and 777 hours to complete. It has over 500 feet of fiber optic lighting and 40 LED’s to illuminate it. The hangar bay decals and air wing decal were made by myself. I typically chronical my builds on my blog and update it weekly. You can see all the photos of this build at USS Carl Vinson Project – David’s Scale Models (davidsscalemodels.com)

14 Likes

Great job! Awesome interiors!!!

Wow, David, super work! I love the packed flight deck and busy hangar below - and the lighting is superb!

We’d love to see your construction as it progresses in future projects too - please consider posting your build logs on this site as well as on your personal blog. I think you will be pleased with all the expert advice and support you will find on ModelShipwrights as you move through your next building adventure.

Anyway, thank you for sharing this with us!

:smile: .

That is a spectacular build and the amount of air power you have added gives it a real wow factor. The lighting is also very clever… Great views of the hanger area.superb build :+1:

Fantastic work. Very well done.

Jim

Yes, When I build I typically post weekly updates on the build from start to finish. Thank you for the compliments!

Wow! This is awesome! Great build! :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes definitely post ‘in-progress’ shots if you are doing another build- it would be awesome to see how a masterpiece like this comes together!

I will be building 1/350 LPD this winter. I will be posting weekly updates of the entire building process. For the Vinson here are all the build photos at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-350-uss-carl-vinson/

1 Like