1/43 hobby time u.s.army bell xv-3 convertiplane

1/43 HOBBY TIME U.S.ARMY BELL XV-3 CONVERTIPLANE
Probably the oldest vintage kit I’ve ever built. Had the kit for decades as it was missing one complex cockpit glass section. Tried to vacuum one a few times….! all failed. Then a partial kit showed up on eBay for $20! Fabricated brass tube landing
skid. Fabricated and upgraded interior.

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 3.38.38 PM|690x391

14 Likes

Gorgeous.

And so curious I had to find out more.

1 Like

Carl,

Thank you for your comment. Whipping another sow’s ear as it were…Talk about procrastination, I think I have had this kit since high school at least? But again, no vacuform skills…so far? I may have ‘most’ of the parts for another kit, but I’m not sure tonight? (I think it’s apx 4:45pm in NZ?)

I tend not to accurize or detail many vintage kits. To me it’s like repainting the Mona Lisa?

The raised outlines for the fuse decals were so period. As with most models, I add brass rod pins all over for strength and durability.

Yes, one of all the many historically fascinating VTOL aircraft. Thanks for the youtube link.

Here’s some additional photos from my XV-3 files.

Cheers,

Clarence

4 Likes

That’s really nice Clarence.
Interesting aircraft too.

Stephen,

Thank you for your support! Took a loooooooong time to find a parts kit. A plastic miracle of sorts:) I love the history of the many variations of VTOL aircraft that pursued a long dream…seemingly currently met with the Osprey V22. I have the 1/72 Hobby Craft kit, not the best but it should work? Cheers

1 Like

Nice VX-3.

I cannot remember all the details but the Hobbycraft kit might work as one of prototype birds from the 80’s, the Testors kit is a better starting spot as I recall. The Hobbycraft kit is not good for a fleet bird flown today. You would need the Hasegawa in 1/72 or Italeri 1/48 for that.

HTH

Thanks,

Hobby Craft kits don’t seem to have good reviews (duh)…and yes your suggestions of other kits is great and thanks!

2 Likes

Great build of a different aircraft. Cheers.

1 Like

Virtual tour of the cockpit here :Research and Development Gallery Cockpits

Copilot here:Research and Development Gallery Cockpits