1/48 miang a-7k

Not sure when I’ll actually start this build, and I still have to make arrangements for the custom decals I’ll need, but I’m going to venture back into the Aircraft world next.

Although I spent 30 years (mix of Active and Reserve) in the Army I was lucky enough to spend 3 years attached as a Ground Liaison Officer with the 127th Tactical Fighter wing of the Michigan Air National Guard, from 1986 -1989 during the period in which they flew the A-7D/K. The A-7K is a two seat version of the -D model with a completely functional cockpit, and is used mostly for either training, or in the squadron for check rides as required. As the GLO, I was authorized to fly in the back on the few occasions when the aircraft was on the schedule and the back seat not required for mission essential purposes, and I got to fly several times. (To do so I first had to go to Wright Patterson AFB and take a session of physiological training mostly involving how to handle flight above 10,000 feet when oxygen is required and how to recognize and handle rapid decompression.)

I plan to model AF80-291 which is the aircraft we had and in which I got to fly. When I joined the wing in 1986 the aircraft were painted in the dark grey and green paint scheme, but shortly thereafter changed to the light/medium grey scheme, and that’s what I plan on making.

I’ve looked at quite a few references to decide what paints to use but none of the ones which claim the be the same as the FS for the spec seem to match the photos I have.

So the QUESTION for the group is:

What are the best acrylic paints to use to best capture this scheme? I have plenty of Tamiya paints and if required, I don’t mind custom mixing to get the right look.

So, what colors do you guys think best represent the scheme?

Here is a mixing chart for us Federal Standard colors using Tamiya paints. If you can find what colors are used in the scheme, your answer is here for the mixes.

Tamiya FS Color mixes

Here is the Green & Gray scheme

Thanks for the mixing chart! That is exactly what I’ll need to mix up the exact grey shades I’ll be using.

Does anybody have the actual FS numbers for the two tone grey scheme used in the late 80’s, similar to the chart above with the grey/green? We changed from the grey/green to a two tone grey scheme sometime in the 1987-1988 time frame and that’s what I’m looking for.

The color chart with kit just says use “Tamiya XF-22 and Tamiya XF-20” (which I’m pretty sure isn’t the best), and does not call out any FS numbers.

Doing a visual match with the mixing chart that Carlos provided seems to show that FS 36231 looks about right for the dark, and FS 36628 looks about right for the light.

However I found another reference which seems to indicate that the FS numbers should be FS 36118 for the dark and FS 36270 for the light. These seem a little dark, but it’s hard to tell for sure.

Anybody know what the actual FS numbers for the scheme were, perhaps from some better instructions than the one in the Hobby Boss kit?

Those colors sound right in the sense that they were both on use on F-4s and F-16s at that time, so would be easily available in the supply system.

Thanks. I’ve got all the right component Tamiya colors to mix both of these per the chart you provided so I should be all set.

I looked in my Concord book on the SLUF, and that book says that the colors used in that scheme were the semi gloss versions, of Neutral Gray and Gunship Gray, 26270 and 26118. So your top coat after decals should have some sheen to it.
I’m looking forward to seeing your completed MI ANG A-7 build on here.

So is the difference between the “36” versions (118 and 270) and the “26” versions, the difference between a flat and a semi-gloss? The mix chart you provided gives a great mix guide for the “36118” and the “36270” for Tamiya colors but a different chart I have (calling out what appears to be more of a best match rather than a mix), seems to indicate that for the “26118” in the Tamiya I should use XF-18, and for the “26270” they don’t call out a best match, however for the “36270” they call EITHER XF-20 OR XF-83, which I know can’t be right.

I may just have to fool around, mix some batches up and see what appears to best match the photos of the actual aircraft which I have.

Correct, if the first digit in a FS color is 1, it is gloss, 2 is semi gloss, and 3 is flat. The second digit is for general colors- reds, blues, yellows, greens, grays, browns, etc., and the last three is for the individual shade.
36118: 3 Flat, 6 Gray, 118 the particular shade

Makes sense. I’ll play around with the mixing jar until I get something that “looks” right.