1/48 Ocidental Spitfire Mk IXc

Not sure which plane or what type it will be yet. I am looking at modifying it to a PRU MkXI or I have seen Italeri’s 1/48 Mk IXc as an armed pink PRU or Johnnie Johnson’s EN398. I have the newer , supposedly, corrected nose kit but they gave me instructions for the first version a Mk IXE. And they gave me the correct decals for the Mk IXc Johnnie Johnson version, almost sounds like another Minicraft mess. That fiasco is still on hold so I can look for decals. Here is my start to the interior. John

6 Likes

The fuselage halves are almost ready to close up. John

2 Likes

The fuselage is all assembled, closed up and sanded. I have no instructions for a Mk IXc just the Ocidental sheet for it’s earlier Mk IXe so I have been following the Eduard Mk IXc early version to see what options go where. I have decals for a desert scheme, dark earth and middle stone over azure blue but they are incorrect as the US wing roundels should have the yellow border as Eduards do but do not. So I think I will find decals for that desert scheme but with British markings. John

4 Likes

The scheme is similar to this one from the Eduard sheet. John

3 Likes

The wings and fuselage are all cleaned up, just need to add wing tips. I tried a dry fit of the wings to the fuselage and there seems to be some good sized gaps. It looks like more putty and sanding will be needed. John

5 Likes

The wings are glued in place, gaps filled with plastic card strips then filled with putty. Once the putty is set I can sand them, then add the wing tips. John

5 Likes

The seams are all sanded and the wing tips are on. They may need a bit of putty and sanding but not until the new tube of putty arrives. The well ran dry. John

7 Likes

Coming together nicely John :smiley:

Nice recovery on those gaps John. Looking good.

Thanks and thanks. I sanded the wing tips as no putty was needed and added the horizontal stabs. I just received the putty and middle stone paint in todays’ mail. John

4 Likes

I have the gun sight, canopy , radiators and intake all added. I puttied up a few bad spots and after some sanding I can mask and start the paint scheme. John

5 Likes

I ordered a set of decals with various markings. They have an option for a Mk IX with middle stone and dark earth over azure blue but it has the pointed wing tips. The sheet also has a Mk IX early HA fighter in PR blue with standard wings, BF273. I did some research and it was flown by a Russian Prince in 1942, it had had the machine guns and armor removed so I will putty up the wing leading edge machine gun openings and ejector shell chutes under the wings. John

7 Likes

PRU blue. John

6 Likes

The decals are on. Now to dullcote then add the rest of the parts. John

6 Likes

Alternate view. John

6 Likes

The decals are dullcoted, landing gear on and prop blades painted. John

5 Likes

Almost complete. I just need to rig the antenna wire and add the rear view mirror. John

7 Likes

The PR Blue really suites the Spitfire :smiley:

Thanks-all done. John

6 Likes

Lovely work John. The blue and pink PR birds have always looked really special and you’ve done a great job in this one. The Russian connection makes for a very interesting story to boot!

1 Like