1/48 phantom decals

I’ve ordered my first 1/48 plane, an academy phantom 4b. Thinking about decals…

Are the Academy decals for these kits usable? I have built a couple of 1/72 Academy P-47s and while the kits were gorgeous (easy, nice fit) the decals were too thick to be usable.

I’d like to do an early phantom and am wondering about the stencils. AoA decals offers a stencils set that is listed as for post rebuilds (late 60s/early 70s). Furball decals offers a stencil set (that I think came with the Eduard Good … Da Nang sets) that is listed as the factory stencils. Anyone have experience with either of those? Are they indeed different stencil sets? And of course, Academy has stencil decals that come with the kit.

Good decals. AoA decals are printed my Microsoft if I recall correctly. Furball decals are printed by Cartograf.

I like Impact decals for that era and airframe. They go down well, and are very accurate
gary

1 Like

Unfortunately Impact is no more. :cry: AOA is printed by Microscale.

1 Like

you can find them a lot of times on Ebay. By the way Impact used Cartograph for a printer.
gary

Good information for others, I got mine as Kevin released the sheets. I just never build fast enough to use any yet.

I was sorta cataloging decal sheets a few weeks back, and ran across eight or ten sheets in 1/48th and 1/32 scale. Most were Chu Lai birds. Yet oddly there were decals for two or three F4u Corsairs from WWII. Just waiting for ZM to do the F4b Phantoms, and waiting for Hasegawa to come back out with the A4c Skyhawk. Hobby Boss has come out with a really nice A6a in 1/48th. His are the best Marine decals out there
gary