1/48 Shelf of Doom save, ICM Spitfire HF. VII

When talking on another forum about my current Spitfire Mk.XIVe project, it came up that I had this long sidelined ICM Spifire HF.VII languishing partially built on my “Shelf of Doom” (actually a cabinet). I then pulled it out for a look, dusted everything off, and realized I had it fairly close to reasonably assembled…

So I decided to resume construction, first adding the upper wing surfaces and allowing those to dry overnite

Then the next morning I added the remainder of most of the external parts such as wingtips, ailerons, horizontal stabilizers, rudders, and a few other bits here and there…

Now I’ve gotten it to the point of where I have to repair what was damaged when I last sidelined it, the motor mounts. The ICM Spitfire kits are notorious for the cowling not fitting around the included engine, and I was addressing that area when the damage occurred and I sent it off to the shelf of doom prior to my last move. Now I have some new ideas to fix that damage… Stay tuned for more updates on this one…

10 Likes

While I wait for things to dry on my Academy Mk.XIVe Spit, I have also been working on this Child of Doom, and gotten it to the point where I have started to get paint on. I made up a custom mix of PRU Blue using Tamiya Medium Blue and Light Blue in an approx. 80/20 ratio.

I need to get the undersides masked off and then I can airbrush on the upper surfaces in Medium Sea Grey for the High Altitude scheme worn by most mk.VIIs.

more to come soon in the next few days…

7 Likes

I got the topside color airbrushed on today. Humbrol Acrylic Medium Sea Grey

3 Likes

Gloss coated on Thursday

Decals applied Friday…

These decals are fight me a bit with some curling here and there…

3 Likes

and my most recent work on this Spitfire

I applied and cleaned up a panel line wash

and then today I airbrushed on the flat coat

finally closing in on the finish line with this one…

3 Likes

My next Child of Doom is up on deck and almost at the finish line…

Have errands to do this afternoon & evening, so no time to get it finished today…. But tomorrow is my goal to get this one completed.

1 Like

And at long last, I am calling this one finished!!! Started in November, 2011 and completed today.

I’ll get a proper multi photo thread post up on here tomorrow afternoon or evening… gonna be busy between now and then… Friday Happy Hour beckons

1 Like

So I started this kit back in November 2011 for a Spitfire GB on FSM. Needless to say it did not get finished in a timely manner, and was resumed and sidelined multiple times over the years. A few months ago I decided to knuckle down on this, and this past week I was finally able to get it over the finish line finally yesterday. This is ICM’s 1/48 kit, and there are parts in there to make many different variants of the late Merlin Spitfires. The kit includes a nice engine on its mounts, but that is also the kit’s weakness, as the cowling cannot be built around the engine. I was able to get the bottom and side panels on, but not the top… This boxing also included a set of ground crew and standing pilot figures, along with a few accessory items. I added an Eduard PE seat harness, and replaced the kit decals with a set from Aeromaster. Paint used were Humbrol Enamel (underside) & Acrylic (topside) for the main colors.

All in all this was a nice kit, and I do look forward to doing another with the engine fully exposed, and adding some plumbing to really dress it up nicely!
Thanks for looking, comments & critiques are welcomed.

4 Likes

That’s a beauty and I’m glad you saved it!

:raising_hand_man:

Magnus

Lovely work Carlos and a great reprise from the shelf …
It’s a rare and not often seen final colour scheme and finish. The DDay stripes are very distinctive and look great. Nice little base as well and the figures are a clever touch :+1:

Thanks Guys!

@magnusf, it was looking pretty rough when I pulled it out of the box this summer… dust caked on and other signs of neglect. Quite the transformation!

@Johnnych01, I don’t think that I’ve ever come across any Spits in the high altitude scheme before on any forums that I frequent. The D-Day stripes sure do change the appearance of that low viz color scheme. The figures and items (plus a few more) came in the kit and it makes the fact that you can’t close the cowling up with the engine in there look like it was intended that way.

1 Like