1/6 Scale RoboCop printed in.....FDM PLA?

So I like to mess around with large scale stuff. I’ve decided to take a 9" figure designed to be printed in resin, and try scaling it up 150% in FDM PLA plastic.

Who thinks this will turn out well, or will it be an absolute train wreck? Sound off, and then tune in!

COMING MAY 11TH. BattleScale Collectica Show. A Video Webcast that features custom fan made figures and scale models.
The BattleScale Collectica Show

3 Likes

Any bets on the outcome? Has anyone here @ Kitmaker tried printing any figures with FDM?

1 Like

if it is a filament 3d printer then i would avoid it as you are likely to see the individual layers, liquid resin is the best way to go.

3 Likes

thanks for your feedback! 1 vote for fail!

2 Likes

I’m thinking that it will have plenty of print lines, since it is FDM and not resin. However, I don’t think that it will fail per say, but I also don’t think it will look superb.

1 Like

Great feedback! So maybe 50/50 it will turn out acceptable?

1 Like

I have no clue about printing but the larger the scale the more visible areas will be, and taking into account RoboCops helmet is super smooth, any resin lines are going to stand out massively and take away a lot of realism. Personally, if I could see lines, I wouldnt want it.

4 Likes

I appreciate the feedback Johnny! I’m starting with the legs so I’ll post some pics when they are printed.
I had some luck getting layer lines out of my 1/6 Apollo figure so that got me thinking…

4 Likes

Hope it wasnt taken as a negative… When I see resin lines it just puts me off as like I said, it takes away the realism

5 Likes

Hope it works out but I think it will probably have lines. If under primer or otherwise that will be enough to matter to you might be a different story.

3 Likes

should have one of the legs ready to clean up supports and see what I got soon.