1/72 Airfix F2H-2P Banshee

Just found a bargain one bagged on E bay so that’s next on my list. It should be here next week.

4 Likes

It’s here but not here. I checked with USPS and for 2 days it has been sitting a town away in some “processing fiasco”. They say it should be here tomorrow…we’ll see.

1 Like

Let’s hope. One of those kits I wish Airfix would reissue.

Looking forward to seeing your build.

2 Likes

Kit just arrived, bagged kit no box. All washed up and ready to start.

2 Likes

Definitely one to build. I mean bits could get lost from the bag!
How have the decals held up?

I counted and categorized all the parts, I was “THE” inventory guy in my department for 42 years, bad habits die hard, they are all there. The decals look OK but only have the fighter decals so they are worthless to me as I am doing a photo recon plane, need to find after market. I cut the fighter nose off and built and painted the cockpit interior. Made some quickie tape seat harnesses.

5 Likes

I built the fighter version a few years ago, you see almost nothing in that cockpit so I am not going hog wild on PE and super details.
Banshee 26

3 Likes

The cockpit, IP and tail hook were installed and the fuselage closed up. I have the photo nose built, it needs some sanding, weight and windows painted.

3 Likes

Looking good so far.

I do like the jets of this era, would love to get a couple more. Only have the Matchbox Panther and Skyknight so far.

1 Like

The Matchbox Skyknight was one of my favorite builds, did it in it’s black night scheme in Koea. It had the nick name of “Willie the Whale” for it’s portly size! I masked and painted the nose windows black and added 2 lead weights in the nose.

4 Likes

I’ve been lucky to get two of the Skyknights. One will be done in Korean markings and the other as a Vietnam jammer. It was nicknamed something even less flattering by then!

Did Airfix mould the camera ports open or did you have to cut those yourself?

Nose camera windows are scribed lines, I painted the 9 rectangles made by scribed lines black.

1 Like

The nose is glued on, puttied and sanded. Dark blue is horrible to photograph.

3 Likes

Next after the Banshee is done, Hobbyboss 1/72 F9F-2P Panther photo plane.

3 Likes

Wings on.

3 Likes

Better image from the back.

4 Likes

The wing tip tanks, horizontal stabilizers and canopy are installed. Time to start masking to paint.

3 Likes

Trying something different, I did the leading edges before the overall dark blue paint. Now to mask for the dark sea blue.

3 Likes

The blue is done, ready for gloss cote and decals then add wheels.

2 Likes

I added the wheels, gear doors and bottom fuselage antenna. I also painted the tail hook and red tail flash. Now it is ready to gloss cote and decal.

5 Likes