1/76 Sd.Kfz. 250/5 halftrack with base

As a fun break form some bigger projects I dug out of the shelf of doom my ESCI 1/76 Sd.Kfz. 250/5 that I started back in 2020 for the SPC over on the old site.
Here are the WIP photos from where I left off. (This is the one I scratch built the interior on.)
Imgur
Imgur

Then I started doing some mud on it yesterday and thought, why dont I build a small dio for it… so I whipped out a small static grass cover, some ball foam and some das clay and slopped everything together.
I started by super gluing the ball foam to the cover. (Super glue melts the foam making a smooth transition)
Imgur
Then added some das clay, sculpted ruts, added track and wheel marks then sprinkled on some fine grout.
Imgur
Imgur
Then finally I added small dots of PVA over the sides and the middle, then added static grass. After watching a Kathy Millet diorama video on YouTube I added some tea leaves as some scatter. ( I raided the kitchen and used both Black tea (large) and chamomile (small).)
Then I flooded the ground with some diluted PVA to secure everything.
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
I will be finishing it like the halftrack is driving through a forested area in the middle of winter somewhere in the eastern front. The halftrack will have some snow in corners and the side of the road will be covered in snow as well. I will have large bushes and trees on either side of the road. Im not sure if there will be troops in the track or they will be dismounted yet.

Thats all for now, hopefully I will have more in a couple days.

3 Likes

Looks great!

I do like the small scale armour and I really should get back into building them.

1 Like

Thanks!
I agree its a nice to work on something smaller!

1 Like

I have a real soft spot for the Matchbox range. Easy and fun to build and includes a small display base. If you’re lucky you even get a figure it two.

1 Like

Nice to see some small scale additions to this site, there are definitely not enough. :wink: Are you sure that this was a 1/76 kit? I have an ESCI 1/72 Sd.Kfz. 250/3 and Sd.Kfz. 250/9 and the former came with a full interior. IIRC, they weren’t the easiest and best fitting kits I’ve ever built. :laughing: However, your build has brought back the happy memories of times gone by. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Cheers,
–Jan :beers: :beers:

Never seen a 1/76 scale armor kit built up. This does look great though!! Wow!!

Hey guys!

Im calling the half track finished! I finished the base so I figured might as well get this outta my shelf of shame.

Here it is.

This is actually a bit of nostalgia for me as this was the first model I ever posted a pic of coming to Kitmaker!
Not a contest winner for sure but Im happy to have it done!

EDIT: actually its not done… Im gonna add some snow to it…

1 Like

Now…NOW its done. :rofl: :roll_eyes:
Im gonna push it to the back of my display area and forget I ever built it now.

What yall think? Look passable enough?

2 Likes