10 HP Tilly

Did any of the 10HP Tilly type vehicles make it to Hong Kong/ Singapore before the Japanese over ran the places? Also, where there any other “beute” vehicles (Brit/French/Dutch/US) used by the Japanese in SEA/ CBI/ Philippines? (I know an IJA Unit in the Manila area had M3 Stuarts )

1 Like

Japanese soldiers captured an abandoned US Army Jeep in the Philippines and sent it home to be reverse-engineered. The result was the first Toyota Land Cruiser.

Here’s a Japanese propaganda film - it’s not unikely the Japanese used a lot of this equipment.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C190113

As for aircraft:

https://j-aircraft.com/captured/capturedby/p40warhawk/captured_p40.htm

1 Like

Just for starters…

Japanese captured F-6F Hellcat.

Japanese captures M3 Stuart

Japanese captured B-17D Flying Fortress

1 Like

“Japanese soldiers captured an abandoned US Army Jeep in the Philippines and sent it home to be reverse-engineered. The result was the first Toyota Land Cruiser.” (I’d like to see documentation of that. Sounds like the old racist BS that the Japanese cant design anything on their own. And they have buck teeth and wear thick glasses. And they did start production of the Type 95 Kurogane in 1936, 5 years before the Jeep. ) Yet, oddly enough , they opted for license built CJ-3Bs (Mitsubishi Type 73) for the SDF.

1 Like

Aircraft wise they had 3 B-17s … 2 Es and a D… from the Philippines. Had a handful of P-40s, at least 1 Brewster Buffalo, P-51 or two, An F-6F. As far as I known, none used operationally . They ended up at Tachikawa for T&E. I know one Tank Regt. , near Manila , had a company of M3s along side their Ha-Gos, that saw action against US troops in 44.

In a photograph probably taken at Tachikawa, a B-17E is parked with two Curtiss airplanes recovered on Java, an SNC-1 trainer and a CW-21B.

According to the above article they may have had at least ten. And they were used operationally, even shooting down their own planes accidentally.

I don’ t get caught up in these types of arguments, so believe whatever you wish. And few people know more about racism against Asians than I do. And my wife and daughter.

From the Wikipedia article on Toyota Land Cruiser:

In 1936, the Imperial Japanese Army introduced the Kurogane Type 95 four wheel drive reconnaissance car. However, in a separate development, in 1941, the Japanese government asked Toyota to develop a light truck for the military. And after the Empire of Japan occupied the Philippines, during 1941–1942, a captured Bantam GP (or Willys MB) was sent to Japan for assessment and testing. Japanese military authorities subsequently requested that Toyota produce a similar vehicle, albeit with an altered external appearance.

5 Likes

Amazing how this first question goes way off-topic. No. Not a chance. I run The Tilly Register and I’m pretty sure I’m correct in saying that at that time there were no Tillys outside Europe or N Africa.

1 Like

However, in looking over each response to the OP’s question, every post has answered his second question, including two posts where the OP seems to answer his own question. :thinking:

Other than a hamfisted attempt to turn the thread into a discussion about racism, I don’t see where it has gone off the rails. Until now at least.
But as you are also the administrator for the Australian Tilly Appreciation Society, perhaps you can tell me when Tillys started showing up there. I’ve been wanting to use the Airfix Tilly in a diorama depicting Fremantle, but only if it could conceivably have been there in late 1944.

1 Like

i seem to remember seeing a documentary that stated the British Landrover was copied from the US Jeep as well.

" The design for the original vehicle was started in 1947 by Maurice Wilks. Wilks, chief designer at the Rover Company, on his farm in Newborough, Anglesey, working in conjunction with his brother Spencer who was the managing director of Rover.[10] The design may have been influenced by the Jeep[11] and the prototype, later nicknamed Centre Steer, was built on a Jeep chassis and axles.[[12]](Land Rover - Wikipedia) The early choice of colour was dictated by military surplus supplies of aircraft cockpit paint, so early vehicles only came in various shades of light green. Starting with the series I Land Rover, all models in this era featured sturdy box-section ladder-frame chassis.[13] Early vehicles like the Series I were field-tested at Long Bennington and designed to be field-serviced."
Land Rover - Wikipedia

1 Like

No “discussion” about racism. Just stating historical fact . Go look at history of the time. The reason the A6M was such a shock was the West didn’t think the Japanese could developed anything on their own. And if you look at cartoons of the time… By the by, I’m half Irish. When my kinfolk came over in the 1800 they were treated worse than slaves. Slaves were worth something. My Quebecois kin were treated only marginally better.

Normally when someone says “vehicle” it implies a ground vehicle But I guess, aircraft are technically “vehicles”… so are boats.

Define “normally.” I’m not as familiar with the term as most folks are.

Or the first five words of this article.

Airplanes: what they are, how they fly, what types there are - Ferrovial.

For me, corn on the cob, grits, and popcorn are all vehicles used to facilitate the ingestion of unhealthy amounts of salt and butter into my body. Damn, where’s the sunflower oil?

And they ALL were influenced by Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot’s
three-wheeled fardier à vapeur (“steam dray”), made and used in 1769. (Photo: Larger 1770 “model”)

and the invention of the wheel is hidden in the fogs of history :wink:

True.

1 Like

Even more off-the-rails comments. Keep to the original subject people!!

In answer to your question, the Airfix kit is a DC-Series Standard Tilly. As far as I’m aware, these did not venture away from the UK. They were exclusively RAF, and were replaced in service from 1943 when the slightly larger UV-Series Standard started to replace it.