12.8cm Sf. L/61 Pz.Sf.V Sturer Emil - Scratch build

Hello

I have been ploughing through a lot of Soviet tanks recently and now I am shifting gear to try and move beyond the slapping it together routine.

So Im pushing out my boat and trying this one. I prefer Dicker Max but the suspension is hard to do.

I bought Trumpeters 1:35 kit and I will just multiply everything and blow it up to 1:16.

The interior will be a nightmare but if I mess up I will just slap a lead sheet tarp over the top of it.

I started on the swing arms and just made them from brass and bits of steel rod iinside bits of steel tube and whole lot of silver solder.

A lot of filing and grinding and I got there in the end. My plan is to use Panther road wheels … 100% not correct in terms of the “teeth” on the track but they actually do not look a million miles from the pictures I could find and they will fit some tracks I have.

Then I jumped in the deep end and started on the back end of the gun assembly. There is a lot to do on this and small bits but I roughed out the breech and some of the mount from lumps of aluminium and brass and steel and kind of stuck it all together. Lot more to do with this bit.

After starting the gun I realised this was going to be a very long project so I cannot promise regular or frequent posts but I will post when I have something.

P

11 Likes

This will be a long journey, I will follow your steps. I see some hard days coming to you, good luck with this project :+1:

1 Like

I thought I better show a sign of life on this build so here is a short, if not entirely interesting, update.

This model has a huge amount of surfaces and that meant a lot of measuring and laying out on sheet and then chain drilling, filing and hand fitting.

I also did some work on my motors…they just fit between the two suspension rails and I still need a mount for them.

Some of the bits were really annoying - such as the weird rack thing that th egun is going to sit on…this has at least twenty individual plates and putting it together was horrible.

Then the hull started to go together. There are so many angles and so many weird joins that it was a real hassle. But the skeleton of it is in place.

Looks horrific at th eminute but thats just the way of it…

P

3 Likes