1957 Chevrolet 150 Black Widow

I recently purchased the Revell 1957 Chevrolet Black Widow kit:

And I noticed that it has some sort of cable to hold the hood down on the front of the car on the box art. Here is a shot of the real car:

Is that some sort of wire? It’s shown on the box, but I don’t see anything in the box for it.

Jim

2 Likes

Nalley still has locations all over the ATL Metro area.

I’m thinking it’s a hold-down cable for the hood (bonnet down here). It shouldn’t be hard to scratch something up to replicate it. I’ve got the same kit in the stash (surprised?) and have tried to find some detail around the retaining pins in the middle and either end.

I will let you know if I find anything in my travels.

BTW I have seen that some boxings of this kit actually came with a 210 series shell rather than a 150 series (different side trims). I would be interested to see what yours looks like. Mine is a 150.

Cheers, D

Looks like Bungee Cord safety tie-downs on the hood as well as the trunk, it’s pulled over what looks like a short rod with a notch on top (time-stamps 0:46 and 5:24). That would explain not damaging the chrome and paint job with a cable — until crashing, of course! :face_with_head_bandage: HTH.

1 Like

D., you freaked me out! I went down to my workbench & checked the body in the kit. It is definitely a 150, which (oddly) has the same trim as the 1955 Bel-Air. Go figure. And, not, I’m not surprised that you have a Chevrolet in the stash. A Ford or a Dodge? Then I’d be surprised; Chevrolet, not so much.

By the way, were these cars sold a Chevrolets or Holdens in Australia?

Michael, thanks for the video. I think it’ll help in detailing the model.

Jim

2 Likes

All good Jim! The GM cars manufactured here were all badged as Holdens, but the ones imported and/or assembled here were marketed under their original badges (Chevrolet, Pontiac etc).

As for the lesser brands, there are a sprinkling of Ford, Hudson and various British, German, Italian and Japanese manufacturers hiding amongst the stash of Chevy legends!

Cheers, D

1 Like

Jim,
That was a very common practice back in the 1950’s-1960’s to use a Bungie cord to hold down the hood and the trunk, yet allow for quick release when needed during the race.

If they used the factory installed hood release mechanism and needed to open the hood because the engine was overheating, it’s right next to the radiator, so it would have gotten red hot. Or in a accident easily jammed in the open or closed position.

I’m sure that more then one Bungie popped off or the end clip broke and the hood flew open!!

joel

1 Like

So Oz is Bowtie world eh D ? Not much room for the Blue Oval ?

Richard,
Excuse me, but there’s always room for the Blue Oval.
joel

1 Like

Joel is correct, there’s always room . . . somebody has to fill the lower places on the results table :sunglasses:

Ouch ! Lol

dido to what Richard said.

joel