1960's Camp Pendleton

A Vietnam War veteran who was a friend of a girlfriend of mine mentioned hating the Gomer Pyle, U. S. M. C. show. My girlfriend only liked it for Jim Nabors’s singing. The show itself was filmed in part at Camp Pendleton, and the US Marines did allow their equipment to be used on the show.

I figured an M54A2 truck would have been likely used on that base sometime during that era. How would said truck be marked, since the AFV Club kit has no USMC markings?

Marines are not big on letting folks know much about the unit. At most a division shield and maybe a vehicle number.

Here is a little later with USMC and unit shipping code.

An old topic I know, but I was thinking of how one episode showed an M38 Jeep being used on maneuvers. But of course that was television and they couldn’t necessarily have the latest equipment available. (I remember the website about Dr. Who UNIT uniforms and how they were obsolescent for their era.) Would the M151A1 have been used at Camp Pendleton during the late 1960’s? It seems that the newer Tamiya kit is actually more USMC specific than the old AFV Club M38A1.

1 Like

The USMC used both the M38A1 and M151A1, just at different times. The M38A1 was a '50s vehicle, fielded in 1952. The M151A1 was a '60s vehicle, fielded in 1960, that replaced the M38A1.

Here is a few photos of M38’s used during the show.
https://www.imcdb.org/movie_57752-Gomer-Pyle%2C-USMC.html

Google suggest the m151a1 was manufactured from ‘64-69. So that suggests it might be possible. More likely 151 straight and A1’s more of a 70’s vehicle.