1st Battalion 2nd Field Artillery in MASSTER

Thanks Terry, glad it’s helpful. I don’t know if you’ve seen this, but here’s the page out of the -10 that shows some details.

If I remember correctly I used the Tamiya bow poles and ridge poles with some modification. I drilled out a .030" or .75mm hole in the top/middle of each bow pole.

For the ridge poles I drilled out the same size hole on one end of each one and inserted a .short 030 pin of styrene. These only need to be long enough to go through the bow.

On the other end of one ridge pole I drilled out another .030" hole. The -10 shows two holes here but you only need one. On the other end of the other pole you drill and insert a longer pin, as this one needs to go through the other ridge pole and a bow. You may have to flatten with the smooth surface of some pliers, these two ends so that when everything is laid down, it doesn’t stick up too high in the middle.

That’s the easy part. The eave poles are harder and have to be scratch built from different aluminum rods, or actually tubing, which you should be able to find at a good local hobby shop. To do the whole thing, you’re going to need three different sizes. The largest needs to be 3/32 ID because that’s the outside diameter of both bow poles and the Tamiya support poles, and those need to fit inside this tubing. Go for thin wall tubing, because the ID is important, but you don’t want them to be too thick.

The next size you’ll need is 1/16 ID tubing This will get used for the large diameter section of the eave pole as well as the upper portion of the four support legs. And finally you’ll need some tubing or rod that is 1/16 OUTSIDE diameter. This needs to slip smoothly into the 1/16 ID above.

To make the eave poles you’re gonna have to cut off 12 short sections (about 9/32 or 7mm) of the larger tube. These are going to be where you insert either the bow poles or the upper ends of the support poles, which are made from the 1/16 ID tubing.

The -10 actually shows a single bent piece at the “FRAME CONNECTOR” but you’re going to need two pieces for two reasons. First you can’t bend them at the proper angle without folding the tube, and even if you could you’re never gonna drill a hole through it for the eave pole. so two pieces has to suffice.

These get scalloped on one end so they can fit around the eave pole and glued at an angle slightly larger than 90 degrees so that when one end is pointing “down” the other matches the “pitch” of the roof set by the bows. Laying it out on paper first helps. A pair of these goes on each end of the 2 medium size 1/16 ID poles which are 2 5/8’’ long. Use the ridge poles as a guide to get it where it’ll fit properly.

That uses 8, and the other 4 go in pairs at one end of the smallest tubing, which should be a little longer than about 2 3/4 . And again these need to be scalloped to fit the smaller tube, and glued at the proper angle like the others. When you’re done the eave poles should be long enough when extended so you can insert the bow poles and lay the ridge poles on top, but when you collapse the eave pole the whole thing fits across the back of the track.

Finally the support poles, I used the Tamiya for the lower leg because of the pad on the bottom. Mine are about 41.5 mm long and I drilled a .030" hole through the pole just about 1/4" from the upper end.

The last pieces are the worst. You’re going to have to cut 4 pieces of the medium size, 1/16" ID tubing for the upper part of the support leg. Next you’re going to have to use a drill to increase the ID to 5/16" because otherwise the Tamiya poles won’t fit. Once you’ve bored out the tube you’ll need to drill a .030" hole in one end.

The trick is this hole has to be drilled so that when you pull the lower Tamiya leg out you can slide a pin through BOTH pieces and not only keep it from collapsing, BUT the total overall length of the extended pole is such that when you insert it into the eave pole, the whole thing is level. I used a piece of bent wire as the pin and tied a small piece of black thread to it and then glued the thread to the upper section so it stays in place.

The last piece of the problem is that the fitting which is secured to the track needs to be a short “stub” that will slide into the two pieces at the end of the eave pole, but it should be hinged with a with some sort pin as well.

Finally the brackets that the pieces stow into on the back of the track (I used the Eduard PE set) are not “long enough” and I had to add extender pieces to the ends of each arm so that everything will stow properly.

Sorry for the detailed explanation, and you gotta remember, I’m an engineer and while a NORMAL person will only build something like this to be displayed in ONE configuration, I couldn’t help myself but to make it so it can be either stowed or deployed. It’s a sickness, I know. But I use beer to self medicate!!!

1 Like

The next vehicle in the battery would be B-24, the Battery Maintenance truck, which was an M35 2 ½ ton truck which pulled B-25 an M105 1 ½ ton trailer. But I haven’t yet built that vehicle yet.

I have pretty much all the things I need for that build, and I’ll be starting a separate build log for that vehicle shortly. Suffice to say that it will be somewhat similar to B-22, the Mess Truck in that there’s a plywood shelter with rear doors built into the bed which was an in the field work and repair shop.

So that takes us to the next vehicle, B-26 the Battery Supply Truck, which pulled B-27, which in this case was an M-149 Water Trailer, nicknamed a water buffalo. The supply truck was a standard M35 with canvas tarp cover, and was a very busy vehicle in the battery.

First of all it had to carry out the items needed to support the battery in the field and this consisted in large parts of the tentage and cots for the unit to sleep in if we were going to overnight in a position. Most of the time that was one GP Small Tent and one GP Medium Tent.

Although the Mess section was a large consumer of the water, and the water buffalo was always located in close proximity the the Mess Truck, it was the supply truck’s job to tow the trailer. This made good sense, because in the event that it became empty and needed to be taken to a water point to be refilled, the only vehicle which could realistically leave the position to do that, was the supply truck. And if we needed additional rations from a supply point that job also fell to supply to pickup and deliver.

And they supply “section” was pretty thin. All we were authorized by the TO&E was the Supply SGT and one unit armorer, who in garrison was responsible for the Arms Room and all individual and crew served weapons maint.

The other major function the Supply truck performed was to be one of the vehicles to go on the Advance Party. So those two guys were always busy.

One quick note on this build. When I originally built this vehicle, I thought it would be cool to build it with the winch that comes with the AFV kit, never dreaming I’d wind up doing all these other vehicles. The problem is that the only one of the M35s in the battery which had a winch was of course the Maint Truck. So what I’ve done is removed the bumper with the winch and the PTO that powers it, from the Supply truck, and I’ll just install it on the Maint Truck during that build. I’m waiting on a new set of decals, and once those arrive, I’ll put the correct numbers on the right vehicle.

So pending the arrival of the new decals, here’s B-26 and B-27.

10 Likes

What is absolutely priceless here Tom is the descriptions that set everything in context, accompanied by some fairly imaginative and skilful model-making. The sheer scope is commendable but the education invaluable.

I just wish I’d bothered to take photographs and garner measurements etc when I had the chance - but often real (military) life just got in the way; if, and it’s a pretty big “if” I had I like to think I’d be capable of producing something akin to your efforts, perhaps an Armoured Brigade HQ in the field (around a dozen or so Takom FV 432s to start with(!)) but that’s just wishful thinking.

Just stunning work Tom, stunning.

Another great vehicle. I am loving how you made all the accessories operational. Great job.

Brian, and Gino, thanks again for your kind words. Hopefully people find the background information interesting. An Artillery Battery in the field is a pretty busy place and everybody has several jobs to do and what may be showing up as a theme is that there isn’t a lot of redundancy in either equipment or personnel. I think most people can appreciate the rounds hitting the target, but there’s so much going on behind the scenes to make it all happen. A big part of all the field training is so that everybody can learn how to work together to get everything done right and not get in each other’s way. Every soldier, no matter how trivial his job seems contributes to the mission and often the support guys get overlooked.

More great stuff Tom! And always the complete explanation of what goes where, and why. I would love to have similar explanations of the TO&E for a Division 86 Mech Infantry Division Tank Company and Cav Troop. I remember the the Infantry Battalion pretty well, aside from HHC and bumper numbers.

Thanks Carlos! Finding a TO&E can be sort of hit or miss. And not only are they constantly changing, units often get placed under an MTO&E, or Modified TO&E. So figuring out what a unit is SUPPOSED to have on hand (and compared to what they actually DO) can be tricky.

I was lucky enough to be curious about the organization of units and how that relates to the perceived ability to perform an assigned mission, because my late father was also very interested in that subject and in fact did his Master’s thesis on that subject comparing the US vs German WW II Armored unit TO&E and the effect that it had. So I snagged a copy of our TO&E for him and I’m glad I did now.

If anyone is interested, I have a “visual” TO&Es of the Armored Division, from 1981, which appears to be a print out of a microfiche Armor School reference book, but I only have Volume I sadly.

And I also have what appears to be the “successor” to this, a Fort Knox Supplemental Manual 71-8 from May of 2011, and it has the full TO&E with great drawings of the vehicles, of an HBCT, SBCT and an IBCT.

So if you’re curious or interested, let me know, I can provide further details and figure out a way to send out a copy.

And as far as bumper numbers go, originally their purpose was to designate the vehicle’s place in the order of march of a convoy, but EVERY unit will publish an SOP on how vehicles will be numbered, and that might be at Battalion level, or perhaps at the DivArty/Brigadel Level. I can’t remember whether DivArty dictated our numbering or whether it was our Battalion Commander.

But I can tell you this. Our Battery almost ALWAYS moved out in two different “serials”. And Bumper number had nothing to do with who was where! The Battery Commander would take out the Advance Party, and that would consist of his Jeep, (B-1), the Supply Truck (B-26) with water trailer, the Battery CP vehicle, B-28 which was a Gama Goat pulling an M101 trailer numbered B-29, and consisted of one switchboard operator who would set up a switchboard and Battery CP tent and B-32, another Gama Goat belonging to the Commo section, (B-33 it’s trailer was "appropriated by the XO), whose job it was, was to make sure that there was commo wire going to all the spots where all the sections would be spotted when the Main Body showed up.

Spread out among all these vehicles, there was 1 cannoneer from each howitzer section and one of my FDC guys. Their job was to mark out the spots the BC and 1sg selected for every section, prep that site (at least for the guns so they could line up pointing in the right direction to facilitate laying the battery), and then stand at the entrance to the position and ground guide their section into the proper spot when the Main Body showed up.

Between those 7 guys and the rest of the folks on the Advance Party, every vehicle coming into the new position with the Main Body had somebody who knew where they were supposed to go and could walk them right to it. VERY handy when you’re trying to occupy a strange site at zero dark thirty!

As far as the sequence of the Main Body, the XO, in B-15 (who had a radio) was always in the lead, and then the 6 howitzer sections, each gun followed immediately by it’s M548, and every OTHER gun/M548 by a 5 Ton ammo truck came next. We usually had the “center platoon” guns first because they were considered more important to get positioned and layed first so they could shoot first.

Usually the next vehicle would have been B-40, the highest numbered vehicle in the battery a “standard” M35 with no trailer. But this vehicle was ANYTHING but standard because it was our “special weapons” vehicle. This vehicle’s role was to go the the “Special Ammunition Supply Point”, if required, and pickup any tactical nuclear rounds!

Yup! At that time we still thought we’d need to possibly fire low yield nuclear artillery rounds to stop the Russian hordes! Because nucs were so “sensitive”, everything about the program was highly regulated, to the extent that THIS vehicle had to be ABSOLUTELY pristine with NO DEFECTS when it was inspected. Needless to say it spent a LOT of time sitting inside a shed in the motor pool driving NO WHERE!

After that, came the Mess Truck, and then B-30, the other Gama Goat from the Commo Section, towing B-31. This vehicle was also mostly concerned with “wire” and usually as soon as they arrived, they’d patch into the switchboard at the Battery CP, and then take off, with the mission to lay wire to Battalion if that was possible.

That left the Battery Maintenance Truck next to last, just in case any vehicle ahead suffered a break down, and last in line was…B-2, the FDC track, because we were the only other vehicle in the serial, which with all these vehicles could be pretty long, with a radio, and we could keep the XO in front of the serial informed of what was happening in the back.

I’m sure this must seem strange to current redlegs, not having a radio in each gun, but that’s how we rolled!

Wow! I can’t believe you built a GP Medium!
Ken.

Man, and I thought the immersion heater was impressive. Awesome work and I’m loving the learning as much as the models.

That completes a look at a typical Field Artillery Battery with a Direct Support mission, in a Mechanized Division, as part of USAREUR/7th Army, in the MASSTER paint scheme, as it would have been set up in approximately 1973-75.

The Battery at full strength (which we NEVER were) would have consisted of 6 Officers and 113 Enlisted men, but we usually ran at around 4 and 95. On the vehicle side the Battery had 40 pieces of rolling stock of which I’ve built at least one example as follows:

4 M151 1/4 tons
3 M416 1/4 ton trailers
4 M561 3/4 ton Gama Goats
3 M101 3/4 ton trailers
4 M35 2 1/2 ton trucks
2 M105 1 1/2 trailers
1 M149 400 gal water trailer
3 M54 5 ton trucks
3 M332 1 1/2 ton ammo trailers
6 M109A1 155mm howitzers
6 M 548 ammo carriers
1 M577 FDC track

As I mentioned earlier, I have started to build the Battery Maintenance truck, and that will be on a separate thread, but in most respects it’s similar to the Mess Truck I’ve already built. It’s not a different vehicle type, but one I’ve wanted to build.

That leaves two other batteries in the Battalion, the Headquarters and Headquarters Battery (HHB) and Service Battery, the FA equivalent of a Combat Support Company.

For the MOST part, the vehicles in these batteries were about the same (less howitzers of course) as those in the Firing Batteries. But there are some differences. Because there really is only so much time, I’ve decided to pick and choose, and I will NOT build a couple of vehicles. But I have built one and I will start a build of another once I finish the Battery Maintenance vehicle.

I have to say I think this has been one of the most interesting and educative pieces I’ve ever encountered on this site; admittedly it chimes with the era I’m interested in (and I do remember seeing the MASSTER scheme) but the way you introduced the models and explained things set this project apart from most. Well done Tom and many thanks.

I agree, a great thread. Well done.

How about the Metro and Survey vehicles? Maybe some Commo Rat Rigs too?

Gino I like the way you think. I’ve given some thought to HHB, and come to two conclusions. For the MOST part there are not a whole lot of “different” vehicles in HHB than in the Firing Batteries, but there are some exceptions, and I’ll list them. The other conclusion is that some of those exceptions are more challenging that I want to tackle.

You mentioned the Metro Section, which during this era was not a part of the Battalion, but was actually a section at DivArty. Not sure what exactly they had, but yeah, it might be pretty cool to do the Met Section getting ready to fly a baloon!!!

What we did have was called the Target Acquisition Platoon, and that platoon leader doubled as the HHB XO, and after I completed my tour in the Firing Battery as AXO/Fire Direction Officer, that’s where they sent me.

The Platoon consisted of two major elements. The first was the Survey Section, and that’s why they moved me there. My degree was in Civil Engineering, and I had taken a class in Surveying. The Battalion Commander called me into his office, told me that the Survey Section hadn’t passed the Battalion Annual
Training Test in the last 4 years…but they were GOING to this year! (We got an outstanding!)

As far as vehicles go, the section consisted of my vehicle which was an M151 pulling an M416 trailer. The RADIO set up was exactly the same as for a Forward Observer, that is one VRC-46 and a GRC-160 on the other side which was a vehicle mounted and removable PRC-77.

The other two vehicles in the Section were M561 Gama Goats , neither of which had a trailer. That made life pretty uncomfortable, because besides the two guys in the cab, there were five additional soldiers PLUS equipment in the back. The equipment consisted not only of all our surveying gear, (theodolites, aiming circles, rods and tape, not to mention PERSONAL gear) but also included two PRC-77’s in each vehicle. We did our survey dismounted and when doing all the rod and tape work it helped having a radio on each end. So those vehicles were pretty typical of what I’ve already done.

The other half of the Target Acq. Platoon consisted of the Radar Section, and that I don’t think I’m ready to take on. There were 5 vehicles in the section, which was led by a WO Radar Tech. The Radar Officer had an M151 with a VRC 46 and no trailer. The other 4 vehicles were an M109 Shop van which pulled the AN MPQ-4 Radar. The M109 van of course isn’t a problem, although you’d have to do a lot of research to figure out all the scopes and stuff it had inside. But the big problem would be doing the Q-4. With a good TM, I MIGHT consider trying to scratch it, but I want a lot of pictures and drawings to even consider it. The other 2 vehicles were a standard M35 which pulled a trailer mounted generator set for the Radar. Again without good references, I wouldn’t want to tackle it.

Now you DO make a very interesting suggestion, and I think Brian has already thought about it. That’s the Commo Rat (RTT) vehicles. There were two M561 Gama Goats, each of which towed an M101 3/4 ton trailer with the 3Kw generator for the Radio TeleType gear, which was located inside 250 shelter mounted in the back of the Gama Goat. I do have some very good references here and just MAYBE, if I can work down my build list I MIGHT consider doing one of those. But that’s way down the road at the moment.

The only other “unique” vehicle in HHB was our Battalion Medic Vehicle. That was an ambulance version of the Gama Goat, the M792, and no trailer. A couple of interesting facts I discovered. According to the TO&E this vehicle had a VRC-46 radio. It makes sense that this vehicle should have commo, but I have no idea how they managed! It couldn’t have been in the cab, no room, so it had to be in the back. But because of how the litters were set up, I can’t figure out where it was there either. And I’ve never seen any pictures of an M792 with a radio.

The other interesting thing about the Medic Section was that it only consisted of one vehicle and a total of 8 personnel. There was an E-6 Medic and an E-5 Senior medical Aidman, plus the Ambulance Driver, all 91B medics, plus an E-4 Medic who took care of HHB. They all stayed with the Ambulance.

The other 4 Medics were “loaned” out, one to each of the 3 letter Batteries and to SVC Battery. But they had to hitch a ride, and generally rode with each of the Battery CP Gama Goats. Those vehicles, were for a switchboard operator and the Battery Clerk. But you KNOW that Battery Clerks NEVER WENT TO THE FIELD, so riding with the battery HQ vehicle made sense.

So at some point I might tackle a RTT rig, but that’s 2-3 projects from now.

@thathaway3

You have done some really outstanding work here on adding all of the little details - right down to the right type of tent pegs for the GP Medium. This is really inspiring. I’ve been working on building a collection of the US artillery pieces from 1900 - present. I may have to take a detour and build out one of my batteries. I somehow ended up commanding 3 artillery batteries each with a different weapons system. My wife was a WAC RATT rig operator. So, I’ve had the thought of modeling her RATT rig for quite a while. Hopefully someone can CAD up the radio and TTY gear and 3D print them.

You’ve given me much to think about in my build plans.

Thank you!

Rick

Have you checked with our own Michael “MikeyBugs” Goldberg? He does 3D CAD and places the item on Shapeways for anyone to print off. He does custom work for Armorama members. If you can provide pics and measurements, he can usually design it.

Gino and Rick, great stuff! I do have a whole bunch of TM’s that could be a big help in the project, and that might be the kick I’d need to take on the build project as well.

I have a digital copy of TM 10-5411-205-13 as well as a -23P which is for the 250 Shelter itself. I know that PSM makes a Resin 250, but I don’t know whether it’s hollow allowing interior to be added, or solid.

I also have a whole set of digital copies of TM 11-5815-334 with a -10, -20,-20P (both -1 and -2), -34, -34P and -34P-1 which are for the AN/GRC-122 (and A and B) as well as -142 (and A and B) Radio Teletypewriter Sets which are probably what we had. There are TONS of great drawings which would make the job easier for anyone who would consider CADing them up for that.

The PSM S-250 shelter is hollow, but the door is molded shut and the shelter is one-piece with the bottom separate to close it up. The shelter itself is pretty nicely molded, but the HMMWV conversion parts are not that good, but those should not be an issue for your purposes. I reviewed it at the old site.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=8516

Chaps, whilst I have the PSM S250 in my stash I’m pretty sure Plus Models make one as well which is hollow, separate door etc. I haven’t checked their site just yet.

Brian, that’s great to know. With a hollow compartment, the details can be added. As far as a molded shut door… I think I can handle that!!!

I thought Plus Models did one as well, but can’t find it anywhere. If I remember correctly, theirs also included PE for the interior racks.

Real Models also has one, but I know nothing about it.

Verlinden used to do a PE one as well.

1 Like