1st Squadron 4th Cavalry

Yup, a DIV CAV Squadron in total is a pretty powerful organization. They also have two Air Troops w/OH-58Ds at that time, previously w/Cobras. They usually had one Artillery Battery OPCON to them as well to provide supporting fires. They could definitely do some damage and hold ground until the rest of the division could be brought to bear.

Thanks a lot! I am very surprised by your help.
As you said before, the CAV Squadron have a lot of firepower. That makes it very interesting for me as a model builder. And of course, I grew up during the Cold War with the 11th Cavalry Regiment close to my hometown (Fulda Gap).

1 Like

And now just to add the the confusion, the Army seems to have done it again.

Obviously some time in the 80’s or so judging by the uniform and helmet, the 8th ID changed their vehicle marking SOP.

Notice the difference between how the 1st ID and the 8th ID identify vehicles from the Divisional Cav Squadron.

Thanks Tom.
My dad was so kind and sent me some photos of “my B-Troop”, because most of my models were stored at his house.

When we go there for the next vacation, I’ll have to do a few refurbishment!

There’s two “4th CAV” organizations in the Army.

The 4th Cavalry Regiment is the parent regiment of 1ID’s 1/4th CAV & 25ID’s 3/4th CAV

The “other” 4th CAV is the 4th Cavalry Brigade, stationed at Ft.Knox. 4th CAV BDE is part of 1st Army Division East. It’s a training brigade that conducts mobilization training at Camp Atterbury in Indiana & Ft. Knox.

“B6” would be the Troop Commander’s vehicle.

I know because that was my bumper number when I was a Bravo Troop Commander, same time period.

“6” or “06” was the assigned bumper # of the commander.

The “7” or “9” vehicle would be the XO and 1SGT vehicles.

Can’t remember “77” but it might be the maintenance track.

Where s your hometown@quartercav?where in german Was 1st cav 4th cavalry Stationed? Büdingen?

Schweinfurt

Tom, thanks for your information. In 2001 during Troop Challenge “77” was a M113 pulling a water trailer. My thoughts are “66” CO, “65” XO, “77” 1SGT.

Matt, I live know in Frankfurt, born and raised in Fulda. In Büdingen was the 1-1CAV stationed.

Glad I could help out Andreas