2S35 Koalitsyia-SV 1/35 Zvezda

Hi all
My latest build is the excellent Russian howitzer released by Zvezda in 2019. The 2S35 is a kind of prototype of an unmanned turret fitted to a modified T-90 hull accommodating the whole crew. The final vehicle is supposed to be developed on a Armata hull.

The kit is great with excellent details, nice fit and few extra work to clean the parts. Some may not like the links and lengths tracks with additional lengths for the guide teeth. For me this is a good way to help the modeler assemble the tracks and it comes with no bad surprise in the end. To enhance the look of the visible parts of the tracks you still can remove the plastic bits between the links around the idlers and sprockets which only took me a few minutes.

As far as options are concerned Zvezda only gives 2 of them: the gun barrel can be in the travel position with part of the travel lock molded around the barrel or in the fire mode, the Kord MG can be glued at 2 elevations using a different spring part.

The decoration is plain green (I used XF-65 Field Grey) and the markings are for a parade or simple 3 digits on the turret.

Olivier

4 Likes

The turret assembly

Olivier

5 Likes

Painting stage. It still lacks some paint on the details (tools, MG…), a wash to enhance the details and a very light dust on the lower parts to show a vehicle after a parade.

Olivier

9 Likes

Lovely neat clean build Olivier. This is another I have been looking at, The Zvezda quality, detail and cost is a real attraction factor. And they seem to go together really well. Great job :+1:

2 Likes

Another great looking build Olivier. :+1:

2 Likes

Hi Olivier,

Which paints did you use to achieve this colour?

See above Daniel @danielpanev :+1:

1 Like

Looks great and it is a really big model once finished. Great job on it!!! :+1: :+1:

The way Zvezda has engineered the wheels and tracks is great IMHO and really helps to get a good result without much work. And the overall fit of the kit is great, provided you dry fit some parts.

2 Likes

Hi Daniel
Johnny beat me. XF-65 is pretty good for the modern Russian green. However the current war in Ukraine shows a large variety of the famous Russian green.

Olivier

1 Like

I like this a lot, I’m a fan of contrasting markings or stowage on vehicles. That’s a seriously long barrel though.

1 Like

Very nicely done, Olivier!

:beer: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Not much time for modeling recently but I managed to paint the scarce “colorful” details and apply a good old drybrush. The pictures don’t show it well but it is present.
When it’s dry I think I’ll apply a coat of satin or mat varnish. Maybe I should add more stain to the exhaust.

Olivier

8 Likes

You have done a really great job with this monster Olivier… Nice parade finish is a good change from the usual hard dirty finishes we often see. The anti ditching log is nice, was that in the kit or self made ? :+1:

1 Like

Very nice work on an impressive model. I like that you didnot opt to paint the log at the back. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Nice job on the parade finish!

1 Like

Johnny it came in the box but smooth as a baby’s skin as we say in French. So I had to give it a more realistic look with some sand paper and a knife. It was painted XF-78 wooden deck tan. I then applied a dark brown wash and drybrushed it with various dark grey shades.

You’re right. I think it gives a nice touch of color. I’m not sure that parade vehicles have the log though. Many do not have neither the pionneer tools nor the tow cables.

Olivier

1 Like

There is a reason the log is like that in the kit: (Photos property of Vitaly Kuzmin, for reference only)

Nikos
I have seen this series of pictures too. The log looks pretty smooth. However I don’t think it is as smooth as the one in the kit.
If you’ve looked at the whole series you certainly have noticed that no tools and no tow cables are fitted to the howitzers for the parade. Some have the right hull side headlight black others have it clear.
So let’s say my “rough” log is my artistic license touch. :wink:

Olivier

1 Like