33rd Recon Battalion, 15th Panzer Division in North Africa Diorama

I hope I posted this in the correct section. I’m currently working on my first diorama. It depicts recon troops from 15th Panzer Div. making contact with British forces in North Africa. I have the Tamiya radio armored car and two motorcycles that will be added. I have been modeling for many years but have never done a diorama. Please feel free to be critical. Figures were not my thing but I have worked hard on them and have made many to start bringing future diorama to life. Just be gentle lol.

Sorry for the poor quality of photos I’m still learning that phase.

19 Likes

Great job! Really awesome ground work. Welcome back. I hope its even better than you remember. You’re of to an outstanding start.

1 Like

I’m glad you like it. The ground work is some type of roofing material with the bushes attached with hot glue. Kitty Litter was applied creating a rough desert terrain with numerous rocks. I have started using desert colored pigments to represent the various color variations in the North African desert.

1 Like

5 Likes

Just commenting on the ground colors and nothing else (which I really struggle with) - the ground colors are very believable! I have a lot of trouble getting believable desert ground colors and would be happy to learn more about how you’ve done it.

2 Likes

Beautiful rendition on the ground work , everything else is also sweet !!!

2 Likes

Yes love the color of the ground work and the scattered tufts of grass. Looks excellent.

2 Likes

It is always best to look at pictures of the real North African desert. I used Iraq Sand from Vallejo. Pigments used were AK Interactive North African and light dust. Mig also has a North African color but goes on a little thick if you don’t watch out.

I used a photo from the Libyan desert that showed different color variations but I can’t locate it right now. You can certainly go mono color as this photo shows.

3 Likes

The 223 is almost ready along with the Zundapp 750 with photo etched.

3 Likes

One more figure to go! Last but not least is the officer pointing to the enemy positions. I will try and get a good backdrop when this project is completed.

3 Likes

Nice work. I like your tactical awareness.
J

Thanks JR! Coming from you it means a lot to me. I admire your Normandy work tremendously. I’m not worthy and I think I will stick with the deserts of North Africa lol. I have always been fascinated with Hill 112 and the struggle for the Little Woods or as the Germans called it, “the crown of thorns.” I want to do a diorama with a shot up British Sherman and dug in HJ pioneers.

1 Like

Die kastenwaldchen.

4 Likes

Nice! I bet the spotter was a little nervous with the Churchill above him.

Nope,Churchy is kaputt.

3 Likes

Nice knocked out Church. Love the trash thrown about.

Thanks man
J

1 Like