34 Pułk Lotnictwa Myśliwskiego

Anybody know if 34 Pułk Lotnictwa Myśliwskiego operated the Mig-21R? Saw a color plate of an R with "owl eyes’ and thought it was one of thiers. It was from an Air Force unit.

34th Air Fighter Regiment used only MiG-21 PFM, M, MF, bis, U, UM versions. But some of them had “owl eyes” on fuselage.

This site should help You:

Dziękuję. Nuts. I was planning on building my 21R for them. Something different. Guess I’ll have to go with the Air Force recon squadron. My ex step father in law is Polish and Hungarian ancestery. Planning on building a Baililika from ewch for him. What is the deal with the eyes? I thought it was a squadron marking. Some sort of superstition? Keep evil ground spirits from jumping in front of the flying aircraft?

34th PLM based in Gdynia Babie Doly airfield which is placed close to the Baltic Sea. They painted eyes on fuselage to avoid “unwanted meetings” with big birds (especially seagulls).
In Poland MiG-21R was used in:
32nd Tactical Recon Air Regiment
3rd Fighter Air Regiment

Wonder if those eyes would have helped “Sully” Sullenberger with that Airbus in 09? Looks like I’ll do the 21UM with 34th PLM markings. From waht I glean they were primarily air defence. Did they do any air to ground training? Wondering if rocket pods would be a valid load. (or R60s)

Sluff, yes. They did air to ground training (less than air to air but some manoevuers they had to practise).