3D printing files

So I pulled the trigger and got myself a 3D resin printer. Does anyone know of any sites that I can download the files for different armor items?

Jesse

You can check Turbosquid.com for some. Most things there are not free though and mostly geared not towards 3d printing but to content creators and 3D artists.

There’s a few more I’m forgetting at the moment but if you decide to print to sell, don’t forget to credit the artists who originally designed the file.

Even if you modify the file, give attribution to the creator. Many files use Creative Commons licenses and even the most basic CC license stipulates that you can sell, modify, and distribute but you must attribute the original creator. Many people, even some people on this very forum, use files they download online freely without giving proper attribution and it’s greatly frowned upon. In some instances it may even be trademark infringement.

So don’t forget to properly attribute the original creators of every file you download if you decide to sell your prints.

1 Like

Welcome to the club, Jesse. Try thangs.com, cgtrader.com, cults3d.com, sketchfab.com, solidworks.com, turbosquid.com, yeggi.com, and free3d.com.
Enjoy. It’s highly addictive. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here are some very interesting items, some free and others (in my opinion) very reasonably priced:

1 Like

Creative Commons licenses have several levels of attribution requirements - depending on what the designer provided - sourced from Wikipedia:

License name Abbreviation Icon Attribution required Allows remix culture Allows commercial use Allows Free Cultural Works Meets the OKFOpen Definition
Attribution BY CC-BY icon Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Attribution-ShareAlike BY-SA CC-BY-SA icon Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Attribution-NonCommercial BY-NC CC-by-NC icon Yes Yes No No No
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike BY-NC-SA CC-BY-NC-SA icon Yes Yes No No No
Attribution-NoDerivatives BY-ND CC-BY-ND icon Yes No Yes No No
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives BY-NC-ND CC-BY-NC-ND icon Yes No No No No

Zero / public domain[edit]

“CC0” redirects here. Not to be confused with CCO (disambiguation).

CC zero public domain dedication tool logo.[36]

Creative Commons Public Domain Mark. Indicates works which have already fallen into (or were given to) the public domain.

Tool name Abbreviation Icon Attribution required Allows remix culture Allows commercial use Allows Free Cultural Works Meets the OKFOpen Definition
“No Rights Reserved” CC0 CC0 icon No Yes Yes Yes Yes

It’s a bit tricky but need to find and read the stipulations when downloading or buying. As a newbie, I had forgotten to attribute the original designer a few times on this Forum.

Then there’s Fair Use Doctrine, which allows uses of copyrighted material for certain situations. Not going to get into the legalese behind it.

Certain prohibited uses may mount to copyright infringement, which is when a copyrighted work is reproduced, distributed, performed, publicly displayed, or made into a derivative work without the permission of the copyright owner.

As opposed to trademark infringement, which is the unauthorized use of a trademark (e.g. brand name, model name, logo, etc.) or service mark on or in connection with goods and/or services in a manner that is likely to cause confusion, deception, or mistake about the source of the goods and/or services. I do not think it applies in this case.

Jesse, you may find this info helpful or not but FYI.

Kind regards,
James

I offer some files on my Etsy store: HDS3D - Etsy UK

@HDSC2D Hi Michael,
Thanks for sharing the Etsy link to your files. Do you have any plans to CAD parts to complete Sherman VVSS suspension?
1/35 Scale Sherman VVSS Suspension Unit - Etsy UK is nice but it is not very useful if someone would put together early (straight roller arm) VVSS suspensions as opposed to the later (raised roller arm) suspensions as erroneously included in certain Academy, Dragon, Italeri, and Tamiya kits.

I started CADding the entire assembly then realized it was a bear to do it all (plus, WWII genre is not my specialty as I have been focusing on modern armor); unnecessary to make all the parts when the kit parts can be used; and it would be a more economical alternative to the modelers (instead of buying the entire detail unit set).

What I am asking for is at least the roller arm replacement part

Or the body part with the straight roller arm attached:
Or the unit except the roller or wheels for more universal fit.

Would you offer that in STL or OBJ file?

Kind regards,
James

No, I was not planning on doing an entire VVSS suspension. Asuka/Tasca has an excellent line of VVSS suspension sets.
The one I designed was more for a diorama item.

That’s too bad. Can you CAD one (not the entire unit like how it is in Asuka set but partially like I suggested above) and sell it?

The problem is I’m in the middle of designing a soft cab for the Tamiya Dragon Wagon, so to take time away from that product to design a part that would have no commercial value to sell. I would have to charge you around $100.00 to design it and I don’t think you would want to pay that when you could get the Asuka/Tasca units for much cheaper (and I don’t think I could match their fidelity).

1 Like

Here is the Asuka/Tasca VVSS suspension that’s depicted in your photo, which is a non-upswept with a riser block for the return roller.
http://www.usarmymodels.com/MANUFACTURERS/Tasca/tasca35007.html

OK, no thanks at 100 USD. Do what you got going for Dragon Wagon. Sounds like I will be CADding one myself for more of universal fit to various manufacturers.

Sure, I am already aware of it. No need to show what Asuka provides. That’s not what I asked.

Cults3D.com Quite a bit there, even if you want 1/35th scale.

1 Like