504 PIR in Normandy

Began a new vignette. 4 or 5 figures involved so far.
Began the first little dude using a Dragon fig with a Hornet head. Dragon kit so far as well as 30cal. PE is from PassionModels.

Second application of putty and more kit added. I tilted his noggin up more as I like to have the eyes more horizontal to the ground as we humans normally behave… Added a hand from Hornet and started to sculpt the sling for a general purpose carrying bag with M1937 strap.
Lots still to be accomplished here.

Thanks for checking in,
J

16 Likes

This is going to be another great build!
Maybe add some more motion by making the canteen and the spade “flap” a bit? They are only attached by 2 hooks on top and when running they tend to bounce.

3 Likes

And so the next story begins… great start… :+1: :+1:

Thanks man. Yes, thoroughly familiar with the canvas LBE. You are correct but this guy will be doing the walking crouch as the team advances in a field. Not running.
J

3 Likes

Thank you sir.
J

1 Like

I thought that the 504 missed Normandy due to late relief at Anzio. They wouldn’t rejoin the 82nd until after the 82nd came back to England after Overlord. The 82nd dropped into Normandy with the 505, 507, & 508 PIRs… was well as the other assigned units.

Nice start on the figure!

1 Like

You are correct. I did meet a few guys at one of the All American Weeks that made the jump into Normandy. They said there were a few guys from the Regt that did so and thus had more combat jump stars on their wings than everyone else.
My memory is hazy about it. I seem to recall they were returning to duty from recovering from wounds in England or they were from pathfinder units or whatever. I only remember the jump star thing with certainty.
But since this is so obscure I will change the Regt to the 508th because I was in that one as well briefly. No biggie. Just tired of seeing every figure depicted as a 101 guy.
J

4 Likes

Looks outstanding already Jerry and right up my alley!

1 Like

Nice start Jerry — love the way you work the webbing and give it a nice close fit but allow for a sense of movement as well. :+1:

1 Like

“dragon figure with a hornet head” made me think of a completely different diorama! :joy:

2 Likes

… and every third one bareheaded with a Mohawk haircut… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

@Metalhead-thanks brother ! Glad you liked it.
@Johnny-thanks for noticing all that buddy
@BDR-I can see why you get get to that.
@Stikpusher-yeah man no kidding. Gotta admit it is kinda cool though. I thought so when I was a kid anyway.
Thanks all that wrote in and also all you lurkers. You know who you are,hahahahahahahaa
J

2 Likes

Hey,how’s it goin’ ?

9 Likes

I’m still lurking watching progress hahaha😂

2 Likes