7,5 cm Leichtes Infanteriegeschütz 18

A while ago, I discovered Italeri´s (ex ESCI) 7,5 cm Leichtes Infanteriegeschütz 18 in my stash. I thought to myself: “This could be an easy build, just replacing some oversized kit parts.”

But after some extended netresearch, I learned that I opened a can of worms and came up with a 50 %+ scratchbuild.
I found out that Vision Model makes a better kit of the gun, but this seem OOP since a while.

5 Likes

Started working on the gunshield. For the wavy pattern is simply used a Lochzange.

2 Likes

Some minor progress.

Made new shields in the “right” thickness and started building the flimsy bracework.

2 Likes

This is truly a labor of love! You must want a model of this gun really bad, or love scratchbuilding, as I would have never purchased this kit in the first place. Kudos to you for taking on such a project and triumphing!
Warriors also made a 1/35 resin and PE kit in the 2000’s, kit #MW 009, I built it and it is outstanding. Good luck finding it now though. I bought mine 10 years ago out of a vendor’s bargain bin at a show. Now they’re just gone.

Excellent work - don’t forget the Tamiya version with spoked wheels:

1 Like

Thank you. Hah! Try buying that Tamiya kit. It is a white metal kit and is a highly sought after collector’s item. Nobody dares build one.

Oh dear; I wasn’t aware of that. Mine currently resides in my stash of half-completed projects!

1 Like

Hi Brian,
yes, I am aware that there were 3 kits of the Le IG 18. AFAK, the Tamiya model kit was very expensive back in the day. If you don´t matter, can you put here some images of your Tamiya kit, I wonder how does it compare with he two other kits. I really whish that some companies e.g. HobbyBoss buys he moulds from Vision Model and re-release it. I just found three new walkarounds on museum guns that make me rebuild some of my parts.

I’m afraid as it’s somewhere in my half-built stash of shame I’ll have to hunt it down; I’ll see what I can do.

Dnepromodels of Ukraine make a 1/35 resin/P.E. le.I.G.18 7.5cm
1494787613701_3508

best regards
John W.

1 Like

I am in no hurry;-)

Aaaand done!

3 Likes

Congratulations! That looks spectacular.

Just for interest there’s one (or a replica/film prop) depicted in the film The Pianist - which is also, in my opinion, a helluva film. Here’s a clip:

The Pianist: The Jews Attack Back - YouTube

It also, for those historians interested, reconstructs an infamous picture of Brigadefuehrer Stroop who was in charge of the operation to destroy the Warsaw Ghetto.

Forgive my manners - I forgot to add - very nice work!

Thanks Brian. That what makes the spirit of modelling for me. Take an old kit and built it with some plastic strips and sheet to “todays” standard.

On this topic I invite you to read my recent article

Awesome work, I have been “futzting” with a scratch-build 1/25 version

2 Likes