I am working on building a collection of the artillery pieces used by the US American Expeditionary Force in the Great War. This is the 75mm Gun Model 1917. The US decided to standardize on the French 75mm ammunition. However, they had lots of problems getting the French 75 into production in the US and even more problems with their own Model 1916 gun. Bethlehem Steel in the US had been building 18 pounders for the British. So, it was decided to modify that design to fire the French 75 ammo and make a few other modifications.
There is no kit or conversion kit for this piece available in any scale. I started with the Resicast 18 pounder with limber in resin. To turn it into a US 75mm, I cut down the barrel and recuperator, modified the breach ring, built all new straight shields, built shield mounts, and added the US sight, tool, and spares boxes to the inside of the shield.
The Resicast British limber was also modified to reduce the profile and accommodate the 75mm ammo, I had to saw off the top row of shells, create the drawers in the center of the ammo box, scratch new ammo box top, lid, and apron, and add all of the US pioneer tools and footman loops.
I finished the gun and limber with AK Real Colors, various Tamiya colors, AK weathering products, and Winsor and Newton oils. The artillery regiments that were equipped with this gun were still in training in France when the armistice was signed; so, the weathering is very light as the guns were factory fresh.
This was a lot of work for a small gun and limber; but, it is a good addition to my collection and may be the only model of this gun in existence.