A-1H Skyraider USN-1/72 Hobbycraft-Vietnam

I am going to start the old Hobbycraft kit of the A-1H Skyraider and do it as a Navy attack plane from the Vietnam era. I will try to fix a few inaccuracies along the way such as adding a stick and headrest to the cockpit and a canvas cover to the missing Yankee exrtaction seat among others. I haven’t gotten the decals yet, still pondering what squadron scheme to put on the gray over white paint scheme.

5 Likes

Will be interesting to see how this goes together.
Was not aware Hobbycraft even did a Skyraider!

Thanks, from what I have read a company named Tsukuda originally did the molds in the 80’s then Hobbycraft either used or copied them in the 90’s, as shown by Scalemates. I built a Hobbycraft A-1H USAF version about a decade ago and it’s overall shape is quite good, sparse details but with some TLC very acceptable. The box art above is the Tsukuda boxing.

4 Likes

Doesn’t look a bad model.
I did a few Hobbycraft in my early days and they were always of mixed quality. I remember their SU-25 going together well, but devoid of any detail in the cockpit. Decals were always next to useless and best replaced.

I have the cockpit painted and fuselage closed up and wings assembled. It has been puttied and the seams sanded. I made a canvas cover for the Yankee extraction seat out of Kleenex and white glue and have it glued to the rear deck. Once set up I can paint it olive drab, paint the rear deck and front instrument coaming flat black then add the windscreen and canopy.

3 Likes

It’s all painted,ready to add the cockpit glass.

4 Likes

I have added the wings, puttied and sanded them and now have to scratch build the “plates” for the forward fuselage by the cowl flaps.See the first photo for a better visual image of these “plates”. Not sure what they are, strakes, fences, cooling fins but I made them for my older Hobbycraft build, the shape was good but I think they were too “thick” in scale. I need thinner plastic card stock or maybe brass.

3 Likes

I think they’re to deflect exhaust down away from the canopy.
The R-3350 was a very dirty engine, spewing exhaust, soot and oil. You wouldn’t want that all over your canopy!

Looking good though. These extra little details can transform an older kit immensely.

1 Like

Thanks, I found some thinner plastic from a clear packaging material. It seems to work OK.

1 Like

I have the stabs and pylons added.

1 Like