A-4E Skyhawk -1/72 ESCI

The Spitfires done so I decided to dive into this. It seems to be a decent kit for an oldie. I have the Blue Angels boxing but will do it as a gray over white Vietnam plane, maybe John McCain’s if I can find decals. I also need to find pylons and drop tanks as the kit has nothing at all hanging off the wings. I do have some Bullpup missiles from a Hasegawa weapons set though. Heres my start to the build. John

2 Likes

Yes it would work.
Esci put the same plastic in a few different boxing’s. I’ve got the Israeli and US Navy boxings somewhere. I think the ordnance came on a separate smaller sprue. I’ll see if I can find one out out to check.
You might be able to source pylons from Quickboost. They do all sorts of useful extras, so worth a look.
Droptanks are the standard 300gal type, so should be easy to find a set of those.

Best of luck with the Skyhawk.

Thanks, I was also thinking of finding a cheap Hasegawa kit on e bay just for the drop tanks and pylons. John

1 Like

That would do the job.
That kit can be found so cheap it’s a good source for the spares. The MER’s and bombs though leave a lot to be desired.

Yes, that’s why I have Hasegawa weapons sets with missiles, bombs and a few MERs. All I really need from the Hasegawa kit is the drop tanks and basic pylons.

1 Like

I have the cockpit installed and made a paper template for a backing plate to block the see through view in back of the seat. I then transferred it to Evergreen card stock. John

2 Likes

I added some weight to the forward fuselage and closed up the two halves. John

2 Likes

Some more progress. I have the pull ring for the ejection seat made of copper wire, the canopy on, intakes on and burner can on. John

2 Likes

The wings are on and the minor gaps puttied up. John

2 Likes

All sanded and almost ready for mask and paint. Needs stabs!!! Still need to scrounge up ordinance and decals though. John

1 Like

Looking good.
Going to be a great little model.