A Dio-Scene

A nice peaceful scene ready for some tanks, etc.

Likes, dislikes, comments?

:grinning_face: :canada:

28 Likes

Very nice !

I like the stream waterfall.

Did you built the trees ?

How is made the foggy background ?

2 Likes

Wow

That scene stands on its own, no need for a tank at all.

3 Likes

Beautiful meticulous landscaping, reminds me of a Gainsborough painting. Is it tank terrain though…?

Seconded. Less is more. Nice opportunity to hide assorted Forest Creatures in the scene as treats for the observant. If you must add something man-made, consider a tractor, early automobile or horse-drawn farm cart, all of which are available in 1/35th, which is what I’m assuming you’re working in. An alternative would be a party of ramblers, converted from demilitarised soldiers, refugees, or the like. Or if you are inclined towards the military, just a single file of soldiers travelling down the track; the scene is timeless so they could be on their way to Stamford Bridge or Naseby. The wild alternative is adding something utterly incongruous, like a crashed UFO or a crucified politician.
Remember the definition of an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty: “Potential Military Training Area, not currently required as such.”
:tanks:
M

Beautiful scenery work , tanks … no , Hobbits , yes .

1 Like

That looks great Leo, obviously a lot of work went into it. What did you use for the background?

Nice, peaceful little scene- you did a great job creating it.

If you’re looking for a military scene. Maybe a patrol resting under the shade and filling their canteens? Works for any era.

Same question. Did you do the trees?

2 Likes

Perhaps A single Soldier sitting underneath one of the trees, taking in the Peaceful setting..

Way to go Canada!

Great job, Leo! I feel like a tank would ruin it. Perhaps some hikers? Or a civilian car, like a Land Rover, could match the ambiance.

1 Like

Yeah man I agree. Don’t much it up with a tank or other military stuff. Put it on your mantel for a zen focus point.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the interest and suggestions. I had originally designed the scene as a base for my Tasca Luchs, and Tamiya Schwimwagen, along with a few troops. It’s a snug fit, but it will all fit. The setting was around Mortain, during Operation “Luttich”, hence the rocky and hilly terrain.

As to constructing the base: I started off with two thicknesses of 1/4" foam core board - it’s strong enough and light. I carved the stream bed into the upper board. I then glued random chunks of isolation foam where I wanted contours and high ground. White glue was used throughout. After drying, I covered everything with plaster cast gauze to even out the contours and form the stream bed. When that dried, I applied a layer of pre-colored Celluclay for ground texture and final contouring. While the Celluclay was still wet I placed rocks (some real gravel, some model RR ballast mixed with a brand of kitty litter, some chunks of tree bark, and a plastic molded rock). I used broken pieces of tree bark to construct the cascading waterfall. I packed all the gaps between rocks with more Celluclay. After the Celluclay had dried and hardened, I drybrushed, and painted the “rocks” a uniform gray color. Then an application of a blend of various 8 mm - 10 mm static grass. After the static grass was set and excess shaken off, I poured clear acrylic liquid in increments to get the right water levels in the right places. The water cascading down the rocks was thick clear acrylic gel brushed in lines onto a plastic bag - when they were dry it was easy to peel them off the plastic. I cut them into lengths and strips and applied them to the rock with more clear liquid acrylic.

The two trees are wire armature covered with a convincing leafy product, and pegged into the base. The large bushes are tomato plant roots with foam leaf and flower bits glued on. Any gaps between the bottom of the trees and the ground was filled with heavy and thick grass. The stone wall at the back of the scene (a little hard to see through the foliage) is a 3D printing covered with fine roots and more leafy material for vines, and ground foam for moss. There’s a small path running along between the stone wall and the tree and bushes. All the bunches of wild flowers are model RR scenery products.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it took 2 - 3 weeks. Most of the time was waiting for the Celluclay to dry, then the acrylic which I had to pour in 3 - 4 mm increments and let dry between layers. I had all the supplies at hand just waiting for a diorama to call home!

:grinning_face: :canada:

6 Likes

Hobbits!..I like that!

:grinning_face: :canada:

2 Likes

The “foggy” background is just this

background slightly out of focus.

:grinning_face: :canada:

I could also have a bunch of rampaging orcs! :rofl:

:grinning_face: :canada:

2 Likes

This looks great - how about keeping it as a base for photos for future models? tanks, hikers, trucks, figures? It is so nice, I could easily imagine creative new shots of new projects -

Cheers

Nick :man_biking:

Is that King Arthur, King of the Britons?

This poem springs to my mind

https://www.babelmatrix.org/works/fr/Rimbaud,_Arthur-1854/Le_Dormeur_du_Val/en/4617-The_Sleeper_in_the_Valley

H.P.

“Your father was a hamster and your mother smelled of elderberries! Now, go away”. :rofl:

:grinning_face: :canada: