A little italian stork catching submarines

I gave already a hint in my previous blog: It will be a big bird.
But it is no plane, it is the italian corvette RN CICOGNA (Stork) in 1:350 from Niko. She was one of a class of 59 similar corvettes and distinguished her by sinking the sub HMS THUNDERBOLT (ex THETIS)

I will this time do no corrections as i do not have so much references and the kit is quite comprehensive. Its my first resin ship and I just want to make her looking nice. She has a very attractive paint scheme with 2 grays, green underwater color and the red and white identification stripes on the foc’sle.

The casting is quite nice with separate underwatership and fits ok. The only bubbles i saw will be invisible after joining the hull halves.

Its not a lot of parts, but the hull will require some sanding as the underwater hull was abt 1 mm too wide.
I glued the halves together with 2k glue too give it maximum strength.

Next will be sanding and sanding and sanding.

I hope you find this little bird as interesting as me. Its a nice contrast to a Flower class

Cheers

Tom

9 Likes

Well played sir, well played :clap::clap::clap::slightly_smiling_face:

Following with interest, of course :cowboy_hat_face:

Hi Tom,

I’ll still be an infrequent poster due to real life issues, but I’ll watch and follow! Nice topic, looking forward to your build!

Cheers
Jan

Thanks Jan, take care for your 1:1 kit!

Cheers

Tom

Sorry for the slow updates but real life and some traveling kept me busy. I didt not make photos from the hull, its anyway only 2 pieces which fit together after a bit of sanding quite well.

I had the idea of glueing in some pins to get the upper and lower hull better aligned,but it did not help much. I used just slow 2k glue and it was fine.

A little bit of sanding was required in the waterline and for sharpening and restoring the bow.

After a little searching in the net I decided to restore the angled piece at the forefoot. The Littorios had it , the KGV`s had it too. Its for guinding the wires for minesweepeing paravanes. And it looks better :slight_smile:
I copied the camouflage on adhesive paper and just cut it out and struck it on the hull. Came out quiete well. I am using the Gunze C colors which stick quite well.

To avoid any desaster i just put the model un warm water and all tape and adhesive can up by
themselves without lifting any paint :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I hope tomorrow I can paint deck and the red id stripes and then can present my stork in all his glorious colors.
Up to now its quite smooth sailing :slight_smile:

Cheers

Tom

4 Likes

Nice one Tom, one of these has been sitting in the stash for too long.

Bit of interest, these were quite a successful ship and had a interesting feature for their time of electric motors for hunting subs so they would be very quiet and a diesel engine for cruising.

Hi Littorio,

Yes, seems they were quite good in their job Cigogna even sunk a british sub.
I like her design and i would be curious how they would have compared with a Flower Class.
The hull looks quite seaworthy and diesel drive is for sure much better than the trips expansion. Maybe they would need a bit more draught…
I hop to get more done today.
Stay tuned

Cheers

Tom

Short update: Cigogna in all her glorious colors:

Never had such a colorfol ship, but its very attractive.
I need to repair a bit overspray and then its already time for a stand to avoid scratching the green bottom.
I start to like resin kits :slight_smile:

Cheers

Tom

6 Likes

Sorry for the slow update. Real life took a heavy toll on my modeling time. Holiday, good weather and another italian bird (hint: it has 2 wheels).
So i just managed to build the stand from some small oak strip which was part of some furniture packing.
I took two 10 mm roundbars which were originall holding the boards on an Ikea shelf, drilled 4 holes and voilá: a real wood stand (albeit covered in protective tape).

The superstructure are only 2 parts fitting quiete well. Tehre si just a littel gap between the bridge and the open bridge, nothin what a little surfacer cannot handle.
As usual I broke on or two bollards and and replaced them with 0,5mm wire. Looks much sharper now.
Now on to the funnel and that was it already with the big parts. Resin kits are simple :slight_smile:

Cheers

Tom

6 Likes