A question about TUSK Abrams

Is this what you’re looking for Ezra ?DwfEIfi

I think from what he stated he is looking for the blast doors on top being removed and doing the ammo resupply with the rack being replaced. I think the Army might have used for a very time period but possibly not.

I guess that’s a possibility as well

1 Like

He should be covered either way now. :+1:

Yes thats what I was looking for, thanks guys!

The above photos where they are being replaced in the field are most likely a maintenance scenario. The system was tested as a reload method. It was intended that the whole cartridge would be removed when empty and reloaded with a new cartridge full of ammo. It was thought to be quicker but proved problematic and was not fielded as a system.

2 Likes

Dang, that would be my dream job, working at Anniston, refurbishing M1’s. A side question for you past and present tankers, how do you identify a round in the heat of battle quickly or in the dark? I see they’re marked, but when seconds count?

I was alway taught it is how you load the rack based on the information for that mission and lots of practice.

As I understand it there are surfaces on the tabs that hold the round in place that can be felt in the dark for IDing which type is in each tube.

Sean

You know, I think I remember something like that, a rotating or moving tab of some sort?

UK Chieftains and Challys were nice and easy, we only had HESH or FIN or DST rounds, each has a different bottom and are easily identified, and it never really gets dark in the turret as there is always some form of subdued lighting on, be it turret lights or a torch left on and partially masked.