A Rail Zeppelin

A Rail Zeppelin And A Steam Train Near The Railway Platform. Berlin, Germany, 1931

6 Likes

Very cool! I love the streamlined art deco aesthetic in general, and this is a spetacular example!

3 Likes

The Poles had something similar, but not as smooth:

7 Likes

@golikell it looks like someone has stretched a British land rover to make it fit the tracks lol

3 Likes

With a more streamlined nose :wink:

It was nicknamed the Luxtorpeda, and was based on the Austrian VT63:

4 Likes

Whoa, Nelli! Never heard of that. Quick search brings up many photos and even at least one video on YouTube. And also that Marklin makes a modelof it:

Here’s an X-ray of it :grin:

Okay, at least two videos - one of an O scale Rail Zeppelin running on an outdoors layout!

3 Likes

Randy, your post got me looking at Rail Zeppelin, and that usually leads to other finds, like a short history of early streamlined trains. And this…er, ah…design, Spain’s Talgo I.

Smile!

2 Likes

Talgo I is also found on a Spanish modeling site that translated well online. The site owner has some impressive model locos, he seems to like American monstrosities, like the ATSF and N&W 2-10-10-2, and the Erie TRIPLEX Locomotive, a 2-8-8-8-2

[https://trenes-renvera.blogspot.com/](https://Taller Renvera Railroad to Scale)

HARV, great topic thread. It’s bringing out historically innovative designs.

1 Like

Absolutely!

Thank you for the comments and information everyone. I am glad everyone is interested by this. I thought it was quite interesting. Here are a few videos of the Rail Zeppelin.

Here are some about the Luxtorpeda.

And, the Talgo I

Thanks again everyone.

Randy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That Talgo I - gotta wonder if the industrial designer designed it on a dare!

1 Like

These designs make te BR01 streamlined engine look like it is made of tupperware in comparison…

2 Likes

There is always the M-497 “Black Beetle” Turbojet Train as well.

:thinking:

3 Likes

It looks like something straight from one of the Fallout games!!! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Bennie1.jpg_678-443

3 Likes

How 'bout twin screws?

*This one reminds me of the movie “Hunt for Red October” when we see the sub “flying” through “Red Route 1”.

vald_mod1

3 Likes

Nostaliga Station Toy Museum - Versailles, Kentucky
- Highly Recommended! -

I have no monitery $$$ association with this Museum what-so-ever other than being a HUGE fan!

2 Likes

The “Black Beetle” jet train looks like Iron Man wearing his Go-Pro camera.

1 Like