A replacement for the Abrams?

This goes back to an earlier post someone put up a year or more ago.

He wanted to know what that red circle is. I actually asked the US Army and General Dynamics and they won’t say anything back then.

To me, I think it is an Infra-red blackout light for driver’s assistance, but being IR, no one wants to admit how detectable it can be to anyone wearing NVGs. Or is it a sensor to detect incoming rounds for Trophy? Note the armored channel running to it so it is a permanent fixture.

Yes, you can see the armored channel in the link below, but not that dull black rectangle and it’s that rectangle that is the mystery. It doesn’t resemble glass or is reflective and if IR light, it has no bulbs showing. I don’t think the US Army even mentions it in their M1A2SEPv3 descriptions but it did say that SEPv3s have “integrated counter-improvised explosive device protection” so it could be an IED jammer although why it’s so up high and not at the sloped bow is another mystery.

https://forums.kitmaker.net/t/looking-for-an-explanation-on-this-m1-mbt/13864

General Dynamics shows it on their M1A2SEPv3 webpage right by the driver’s hatch.

“New in the SEPv3 upgrade are additional electrical power from an auxiliary power unit, network upgrades, stronger armor for greater protection, an ammo data link to interface with advanced ammunition and reduced maintenance strain.” —General Dynamics Land Systems webpage.

On hindsight, I think it is a sensor for the programmable advanced ammo although in “hull down” configuration, the sensor will point to the sky.

Thoughts, anyone?