A Rookie question

When painting instructions say to paint a certain part “Burnt Iron”, do they mean rust? If so, why don’t they just state “Rust Color”?
:smiley:

Rust would be a pretty good guess.

Generally they don’t mean rust. Burnt iron is meant to be a dark grey-brown with little or no red or orange in it. But many of the paints sold as burnt iron are basically just a metallic version of that, which I find unconvincing. Instead, I start with deep brown and dry-brush dark metallic greys over it, like gunmetal, and if it needs it, add a bit of graphite off a soft pencil.

1 Like

Rust, or iron oxide, has many colours since iron has more than one oxide.
Burnt iron is something else, see pigstys reply above

I get it. Oxidized, but not rusted.

It really depends on the part. If it is a machine gun barrel, straight burnt iron is more appropriate than a rust. If you are talking about an exhaust a rust

Burnt Iron has a slight brown and white tint with often a metal flake. It is different than rust. Great question and I wish that manufacturers would be more specific.

It just occurred to me that a good example of “burnt iron” is the exhaust stacks of semi’s (trucks, that is). They’re not rusted (unless very old and not well-maintained), but discolored, depending on the metal, to brownish-black to blue-ish black. MG barrels don’t rust from use, but just blacken. But what of exhaust ports/pipes of internal combustion engines of WWll…I usually use rust with blackening in and around the exhaust exit. Would the exhaust heat from a jet engine rust, or just discolor any visible exhaust port ?

1 Like