A rough day on the bench

Thought I’d make some progress on my epic phantom build today. I’ve been working on getting the fuselage in shape all week. It’s the Academy 1/48 phantom kit and the fuselage fits great to the wings. The lower fuselage and the intakes are really just a mess. So I’ve been clamping and glueing all week. This morning I thought I could push the intake in so there wasn’t a step between it and the fuselage. Clamped it, got it lined up pretty good, and put some extra thin on the joint. Came back half an hour later and somehow a bunch of extra thin (I have no idea where it all came from - did I do that?) had flowed under the clamp and left a nice roundish divit in the plastic. I spent most of the day cleaning that up. I’ll have to scribe a little and put a lot of rivets back on. I ordered a riveting tool…

So I shift over to my SU-85 that had kind of stalled and started making some good progress on it when I noticed on the side of the hull there was a round spot where a pretty big splat of extra thin had come to rest. It was well dried and not on any detail so easy to sand back down. Wondering how it got there again…

But it has felt like a rough day on the bench for me…

A local model builder managed to get CA on his thumb without noticing and then pressed his thumb onto the big roundel on the side of the aircraft model he was building …

Yesterday an extremely sleep deprived modeler mixed 4 cc of thinner with 1 cc of paint instead of 1 cc of thinner with 4cc of paint.

He was confused why color coverage was so poor until after a 12 hour nap when he realized the error.

1 Like

We’ve all been there - modeling and other hobbies as well. All part of the fun, right ?

Somedays you get the bear, and somedays the bear gets you…

What about the beer? :wink:

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I have plenty enough trouble trying to model and paint sober!