A Ship Model that is a bit different

10 Aug

Bwiber
Tim,

I know that you are probably busier than you care to think about with work, family, the site and even the occasional model building session, but I thought I would give you a link you might enjoy. The guy builds a fishing vessel using a 3D pen, of all things. I am guessing that it is around 1/72nd scale… ish?

As I watched the first of the 3 episodes I thought of you, and the Shipwrights site. After all, things like his method of marking the deck planking are ingenious, and can be done by anyone. Then he makes the door handles, and anchor chains… well, the list goes on.

Enjoy… [3D pen] 130일 동안 배 만들기(1편).[3D pen] Making a ship for 130 days (Part 1) - YouTube

One a side note… your builds are very entertaining, and are one of the things that keep me coming back to the site. Considering that I haven’t built a ship in decades that is something. Looking forward to more…

Wishing you and yours happiness and health…
Bob

Hi all,

Bob just sent me a link to a modeler building a ship using a 3D pen. It is absolutely AWEOME! Watching the unfamiliar (at least to me) technique is a reminder of just how diverse and ever-changing our supposedly traditional hobby can be! I stand in awe of this modeler. 3D pens… who knew? But there was a time when injection-molded plastic was new… and photoetch metal, airbrushes, acrylic paints, resin, etc., etc., were once new too… so I guess I’ll have to try it out one of these days.

Anyway, thank you Bob for sharing this little gem!

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

files, sandpaper, various side cutters, various grinding bits in motor tool, saw, some kind of heat carving tool (flat iron on a stick sort of), mini torch, knife, drill bit in pin vise, scissors, ordinary paper?, flat nosed pliers, steel ruler used as board to extrude plastic on, large sheet metal disk, smaller metal pressing tool (flatten hot plastic to sheets), calipers to measure, aluminum foil to use when pressing hot plastic to sheets, some kind of “diamond” sanding plate? (looks very useful to get a flat surface), screwdriver, pen, insulated copper wire stripped to get thin copper wire.
Stretching sprue (or the 3D-Pen wire), tweezers.

He’s basically using the 3D-Pen to manufacture plastic sheet, turning extrusion wire/rod into sheet plastic. Doesn’t seem to be styrene since he is using what seems to be CA-glue.
I would buy sheet styrene instead of the expensive wire for the 3D-Pen, comes in various thicknesses, colours and even transparent. Can also be recycled from redundant CD-cases.
I do approve of his recycling of the other materials (electric/electronic products can provide many useful bits and pieces).
I am impressed by his manufacture of railings!

His use of the 3D-Pen is on the same end of the scale as inviting all your friends for a huge dinner party with lots of fancy food and then collect what they deposit in the bathroom to use as fertilizer for your garden. It works but there are waaayyyyyy better and more efficient ways of doing it.

1 Like

Is it just me, or did anybody else find the tool audio very satisfying? :hocho: 🪚 :straight_ruler: :triangular_ruler: :hammer_and_wrench: :laughing: