A tiny railway carrying sea mines and shells, Hague, Netherlands, early 1939

A tiny railway carrying sea mines and shells, Hague, Netherlands, early 1939.

6 Likes

Very interesting. I would have thought that was milk on the left and mines on the right

5 Likes

Well, milk does help grow strong bones and muscles…things that would be helpful when moving the mines…hmmmmmmmmm :thinking:

2 Likes

Haha, the picture just looked like that :grin:

2 Likes

“Mmmmmmmmm … Milk Duds…” :thought_balloon:

—mike :yum:

3 Likes

:rofl:
You guys!

Randy, cool photo. Where did you find that??

The Netherlands use(d) 700 mm (2 ft 3+9⁄16 in) gauge for industrial railways. That track looks about 25" but I can not be certain. The huge and interesting British Royal Arsenal used 450 mm (17+23⁄32 in). This image of the RARy has what looks to be sea mines on display.
Royal_Arsenal_Railways_-_Narrow_gauge_railway_at_Woolwich_Arsenal,1914-1918(Greenwich_Heritage_Centre_LSA_2766)_03

Fun fact, in the 60s and 70s, AHM released MiniTrains, HO models which ran on N track. They were models for industrial railroads. I did not even remember them until I stumbled across them on evilbay a few years ago; they were revived and improved and expanded, this is their website.

2 Likes

Thank you Fred. The picture was just a random pop-up that I thought was cool. Interesting way to move munitions. :slight_smile: