A Wash Dilema

Hello all. I have been out of the modeling game for quite a while and have recently started up again. I have several small projects working and have hit an issue. For doing my wash, I tried using oils, however, my oil paint (Fine Touch from Hobby Lobby) does not mix with my oil thinner (Winsor & Newton). Should I be using Turpenoid instead? My current model was done in a mix of enamel and acrylic, so I am kind hesitant to use either for the wash. Any recommendations is appreciated.

2 Likes

I use Kleen Strip Mineral Spirits with Windsor and Newton Oils. They’ve always worked well together.

1 Like

Do you mean Masters Touch oil paints? I haven’t been in a HobbyLobby in a very long time but I recall the Fine Touch series as water colours and acrylics.

The W&N should work with any traditional oil paint. I’ve never been particular to any oil paint brand and have everything from cheap kids’ oil paints to some very expensive W&N colours and all have thinned well enough with whether using hardware store turps or silly expensive high end odourless “professional artiste” thinners. Yes there’s a difference but I don’t have the skills to take advantage of the benefits.

You can try Turpenoid but it can change the oil pigments’ colour and dramatically increase drying time - i.e. stay tacky forever! As a thin wash or filter you should be OK. Try a few drops of plain old turpentine or mineral spirits - if neither work, you may have a problem with the paint.

Luck,
Colin

1 Like

I use a store brand (deSerres, if you have their arts supplies in Western Canada) oderless mineral spirits (not expensive) with a variety of tube oils. Relatively quick and even dry time.
:smiley: :canada:

1 Like

I use the Windor Newton distilled turpentine only to clean my brushes at the end. For thinning, washes, coating the surface for pin dots etc I stick 100% to mineral spirits, the jug I bought over there too, the odorless one in the white plastic jug. Next time I’m just hitting Ace instead and saving a few bucks but what I have will last years anyways
I have a few tubes of Windsor Newton, at my level I don’t see much difference but I’m curious to try Arbeitlung at some point but I haven’t ordered any yet, no one locally has it. I haven’t had any issues whatsoever with the MastersTouch for washes, but I learned my lesson early on and keep a color index for oil paints handy so I don’t do dots that when blended will give me an unexpected tint or result. Personally I’ll use these until empty or bad, I feel they’re a great value especially if you hit those random 50% off sales on their lines.

Minus a little Tamiya panel liner the blending, filters and other washes were all done w Hobby Lobby oils over Vallejo acrylics with Vallejo’s gloss varnish, oil work then flat varnish to seal before pigments (coming up soon).

2 Likes

I use the Mona Lisa odorless thinner with master’s touch and W&N oil paints and it has worked very well. Available at Hobby Lobby and I grab it when it is 40% off. It really does have much less odor, which is what I need.

2 Likes

Hopefully the phot uploaded. lol.

Anyways. Tried Tamyai Panel Liner on a tarp and it ate my paint. But I did do a wash on my jeep with Testors Thinner and Flat Black. This picture is after a gloss coat and drybrushing. Tomorrow it will get a flat coat. Thanks for the comments. I am going to try out your suggestions.

1 Like