Abrams kits and projects discussion/feedback needed

Looking at the parts break down on hobby search Panda uses the same turret in both their M1 and IPM1

1 Like

What M1A1/A2 kit are you basing your M1P or IPM1 conversion on?

You need to compare the size and layout of the two turrets, but if Panda used the same turret for both then they are wrong. The M1IP used the larger turret of the M1A1, but it was missing the round base for the CITW and the weld seams and blow out panels are different.
To convert an M1A1 turret, you would need to remove/fill in the round hole and redo the blow off panels, which is a bit of work, but doable.
Ken

1 Like

The Panda M1IP turret is longer than their M1:

Panda-Hobby 35038 1/35 M1 IP Abrams MBT First Look Image 01 (cybermodeler.com)

But they didn’t alter the mantlet which I think is a major accuracy error. When the turret got legthened, the mantlet got lengthened also, per my post above. Otherwise the gun mount would’ve have to been moved forwards. But I assume the gun mount stayed where it was and the mantlet was lengthened instead.

Also the shape of the Panda lower turret on both kits is suspect. These kits have a lot of problems.

2 Likes

I´ve built both kits, and the turret in the IPM1 kit is longer. However, you get both turrets in the kit.

2 Likes

photos illustrating the difference in mantlet length

The Panda kit may be based on drawings from the Hunnicut Abrams book which shows the same error.

4 Likes

Hi, Sean, thanks for sharing the photos. This is helpful. I am uploading these photos to my FB M1 Abrams tank scale modeling group to help others. Redirecting...

Sure thing, they’re both originally from Prime Portal if I remember correctly. It’s a right click save whenever I come across a photo that illustrates important features like this.