Academy AH-1Z 1/35. Finished pics

Thanks John, Thanks Joseph.

Light ghost grey and medium grey on. Went a bit low with the demarcation on the starboard side but it’s staying now. Also managed to paint the tail winglets the wrong way round!

Slow progress but progress nonetheless…

8 Likes

Looking very good Jim. Really like that grey scheme, it’s very subtle in how it looks… I could do with some more Grey’s…I can sense another order for Mary soon !!!

1 Like

Thanks John.

Almost all the decals on. Didn’t realise I had to paint the cannon shroud white as the section of white below the black is absent, so just that one to do once the gloss is fully cured. The cartograph decals included in the kit are very nice and all seem to have settled down nicely using microset and microsol. The sharks mouth decals are in four parts for each side and were a bit tricky but will be ok once weathered.

Thanks for looking in.

4 Likes

Looks very nice Jim… the grey looks lovely on it and the finish is great. That sharks mouth looks very very mean… You’ve done a cracking job. :+1:

1 Like

After looking at this . I dont think there is a better looking bird out there . Great work .

1 Like

Thanks John @Johnnych01 and Chris @Chris_Bryan, it is an interesting looking flying thing for sure.

I’ve started the weathering using AK paneliner for grey and blue. It’s a bit stark in some of the panel lines but I don’t mind it. Have also started highlighting the grey with abteilung Snow White oil paint, tiny spots blended in the middle of panels. I reckon it won’t really need much more than this and a satin/flat coat.

Here is the current status, first picture is unweathered for comparison.

7 Likes

Nothing I don’t like about this build, keep up the great work.

1 Like

That looks brilliant Jim, and like Ryan said, there is nothing not to like about it. That panel liner and the very gentle tone shading with the white are spot on. Beautiful looking flying thingy :grin: :+1:

1 Like

Beautiful model; a little surprised to see that big German cross on the side tho but always figured the USMC was a bit crazy anyhow.

1 Like

Looking really good. The weathering looks nice. Great job so far.

1 Like

Thanks everyone, your kind words are the encouragement needed to carry on to the finish.

Yeah Lee, I know what you mean about the German cross, but I kinda like the visual juxtaposition!

So, lots of little detail painting done and the flat coat on. Have started the final build, however still have the main and tail rotor to complete, and some other little jobs here and there, but I thought I would share the progress before going any further.

Oh, and that middle canopy section is still slightly warped so not looking forward to getting the clear bits sorted…

Thanks for looking in, Jim.

9 Likes

Looks cracking Jim … you have to be proud of that one… Lovely colours on it mate :+1:

1 Like

Wow! This looks amazing! Really good job. Love the subtle color modulation and panel like highlights

1 Like

Beautiful job Jim. Makes me want to build one but my armor stash is way to big to delve into helos. Finish looks incredible!

1 Like

Absolutely stunning work. It is incredible what you have done with that bird.

1 Like

Many thanks everyone. All the little jobs have really added up. I lost one of the clear ends for the hellfires and ended up having to do the old vacuum the area and check content trick, it turned up on the stair carpet after trying the hobby room, then the landing…not sure how far I would have gone if it didn’t turn up!

Anyway, thought I would share some pics before the canopy goes on, as I have some real anxiousness about messing that up. Nice to see the thing with a full set of gnashers at last though!

Cheers, J.

11 Likes

And the canopy is on! A few pics before I manage to knock off the doors. I wish I had left one side fully closed but made the commitment early in the build with hinge choice. Got a scratch on the front of the central part but otherwise looks fairly clear, apart from some distortion on the clear of the “roof” section out of the mould. Some touching up with flat varnish to hide some glue residue but fairly happy.

For those interested I used Mr Hobby Mr cement deluxe, and Mr cementS. Probably only melted the paint but as long as it holds…

Now for masking those rotors.

Cheers, J.

11 Likes

It’s looking great. Excellent job so far.

1 Like

Another superb offering Jim…you pulled out all the stops on this one. The whole bird looks exceptional. Colour, panel lines, the finish so far, weapon load out and detailing… And the star I think is the optical head you scratched… That’s very nice :+1:…btw, I like the alternate canopy sides being open.

1 Like

Great work inspired me to get on with mine… :slight_smile:

1 Like