Academy HMS Warspite 1942 1/350 Build

Good luck with the coin toss. Mark

Cheers, Si :beer:

Well, I can’t believe it, my last post was in April and now almost November. I can give you a dozen excuses as to why the delay, let’s just say life.
This is where the build stands now. Assemble and painted the Foremast, Mainmast, Forward superstructure, rear superstructure weather deck and catapult. All the structures are only dry fitted at this time. They will be sitting on the wood decking, so I will have to us CA or epoxy to glue them in place. I am leaning on the epoxy side.

I was very nervous about assembling those masts because of my fat, shaky fingers, but got them together without breaking any of the PE (a first). The brackets to hold the yardarms in place really tested me. I took over a week to assemble each mast, making sure the CA was cured before moving onto the next step.

Next step I believe is to get the boats, launches and dinghies built and installed, and of course there are numerous paint touch ups to take care of, and I plan on weathering the structures before installation. The camouflage isn’t perfect, but it’s close enough for me.
The turrets are from Shapeways, but I haven’t yet decided if I will use them on another Elizabeth class ship I have in the stash. I will assemble one of the turrets that came with kit and then decide.

Still a lot to do, but I think she is shaping up nicely, even though my fat fingers keep getting me into trouble. Sometimes I forget that I need to build up and then out, but I am getting better.

Mark :beer:

7 Likes

Looking good, Mark! I especially like the invisible turrets! :rofl:

Seriously, though, your work on those masts is top notch - so what if they took a little while to build up? I can’t wait to see more. :grin:

3 Likes