Hi webmaster et al.,
Wanting to look up something in the Archive, I’d find it helpful if there were a standard heading here with the instructions to get there. Perhaps others, too?
Top center of the page, “Archived Sites”. Hover over it and select your site.
Duh - being able to read sure is helpful! Thanks, Gino.
Peter
Also keep in mind any searches you do from the new Armorama.com will also show archived results via the google search. The only caveat to that is that I have noted if you try a second search it’s just updating the local site results. Need to fix that.
Cannot currently access the Archives - neither Armorama nor Model Shipwrights.
FURTHER EDIT:
I created a H of a lot of content that is now in the archives that for the moment is not accessible. And much of that content failed to have the photos come across.
Yeah, I know, I Know: Bitch, Bitch, Bitch.
Jim I did a full S-B-S build on the das Werk 1/35th scale Sd.AH 115 trailer with much photo reference included and can now find none of it. Not even the thread title. What’s UP?
Once again I keep trying to access the archive and all I get is “This server cannot be found>”
Jim, what is going on???
And now when I post here I get a message “This topic has been resolved.” No it has not!.
Why can I not access the Archives?
Once again I keep trying to access the archive and all I get is “This server cannot be found>”
Jim, what is going on???
I know exactly what you mean. Historicus Forma never made it into the archive, which means all of the content is gone, along with my >100 figure reviews.
Also, I found some of my archived Armorama reviews are missing the images.
Mario
I also think it’s the Internet refreshing itself and cleaning out old data junk. Back then in the 1990s, hardly any of the content was readable and worthy of preservation…monumental and historical, yes, but UNIX, AOL, Netscape, Microsoft Explorer, dial-up modems…who cared? Unless you are rich and famous, your early use of the Internet probably no longer exists. The search engine companies probably deleted the early data because many got bought over, merged, or went out-of-business, not to mention cyber-hacks, trolls, spammers, etc.
There is only so many hard drives, flash memory, Cloud storage, and data centers available, and the World Wide Web companies probably made more room for AI, Chat AI, video chats, videos, Cloud data storage, CCTV security camera footage, etc. So chances are that your early digital fingerprint is long gone from the World Wide Web, wiped away in some old Zip disk, floppy disk, or hard drive tossed into the landfill or at an overseas electronic recycling center. Now with flash drives and memory, data most likely gets erased if not accessed frequently.
I found this thread of mine easilty enough. (and others that I could remember key words from)
Maybe it’s a conspiracy?
Absolutely!
![]()
The link at the forum site is wrong, you should use https://archive.armorama.com/ as pointed above.
Why would the achieves be using a different link than that given in the header bar seen above???
QUOTE from varanusk:
The link at the forum site is wrong, you should use https://archive.armorama.com/ as pointed above.
Maybe it’s time to forget aboit old archaic post that few people read and create new content.
It’s the broken reviews that I miss. All the images are gone, making the reviews fairly useless.
My comment to that is that i have gone to great length to create that content (an example would be the extensive SBS build of the Sd.Ah.115 with much added detail and published research) now more or less lost to any interested modelers.
Tends to make me wonder just what the value is to creating content for the KitMaker Network in the first place.
If I would ever go to the trouble of writing a review with photos and research (maybe, I’m a lazy SOB) I would make sure that I had backups.
Trusting that something/anything on the internet will be there “for ever” is rather naive.
Anyone remember the Photobucket phockup? Suddenly all the photos were hijacked …
That mess broke a lot of reviews and other posts.
What if Kitmaker would disappear?
We are all getting older and some day Kitmaker may disappear as well.
There is a proverb which could be applicable: “don’t look a gift horse in the mouth”
The old implementation of Kitmaker/Armorama and the rest of the forums
had reached the end of the road.
Two options:
- Give up and say that it was fun while it lasted.
- Build something new and save as much as possible.
Jim chose option 2
Robin i just knew you would be the one to feel you needed to chime in here.
Well, I don’t think Jim choosing the option 2 is a problem. The problem is that Kitmaker/Armorama archive was not completely successful. Yes, I know there was a ton of content to archive and at some point something went wrong (re: some of the old Armorama reviews with missing images).
The other thing is that Historicus Forma never turned up as an archived site. Meaning we lost a huge amount of content… Being an editor at HF for a long time and providing over 500 figure reviews it hurts to see these gone for good. Not to mention figure painting articles from some very talented guys that could still be very interesting.
Mario