Picking this project up somewhere in the middle I suppose, I had planned on wrapping this one up by the end of this weekend but not to be apparently.
A week ago I was finally at the point of spraying the exterior primer then base coat and started to mask with tape using the old technique of rolling the edges to get a feathered edge on the camo pattern . . . this is where things started to go off course, let me explain by saying with this being a resin cast kit the peripheral parts are finely detailed (read fragile), while handleing the model I’ve managed to break a couple parts either off or in two so it’s been a tedious process, applying tape over or around these parts was gonna be risky so I convinced myself I could shoot the contrasting color freehand. Well here I go, turn down the airpressure to about 5lbs, thin the AK rotbraun real good and got busy . .
. . . well it didn’t look bad but it didn’t look good either. In fact it didn’t look right to me, even though I have no real reference for an ARVN camo pattern for the M114 I was at least trying to mimmick the pattern typically seen on their M113’s. Problem was the overspray even at low pressure was too obvious, my little Iwata can spray a remarkably fine line but regardless how much I tried to stabilize my hand and the model it wasn’t effective to produce the desired effect.
Okay new plan, ordered the AK Masking putty from Scalehobbyiest, got it late Friday and rolled it out in strings like play-doh and laid out the pattern I wanted to “save”. Well this stuff is intresting to work with, given enough time it sorta sinks into itself, rather than sustaining a raised edge it levels out so I didn’t get the feathered edge I want. BTW unlike as advertised it wiil pull up the base coat (and primer even though the model was washed) and it will leave behind residue that can be troublesome to remove from crevices or areas like hatch springs. Anyway looks a bit better than my freehand attempt . . .
Ah things are moving along now. It’s time to start adding the road wheels and track lengths, I’ve been dreading this since I opened the box on this kit.
The directions per usual are sparse on directing but do suggest some means to assemble the running gear at a 10mm ride height. This is where I drove the bus off the cliff, I instead used the shocks to determine the position of the front and rear road wheels then attached the two middle wheels to match the pevious, then began the process of dipping the track length in boiled water and wrapping the track around the drive sprocket and then glueing the track to the sprocket and sprocket to the hull. This process of dipping, bending and argueing with the CA glue went on for about four hours switching from one side to the other until I had the right side complete. Early on in the process I thought “sure does sit kinda high” but I kept going with it until I referenced some pics and realized the front wheels and track angle is just wrong . . .
. . . well $#×* me!!
Guess I get to expeirment with CA dissolver now.