Admiral Hipper, Norway late summer 1940

Thanks Steve, good to know.

Cheers, Si

Hi Mark,

Indeed they were an ambitious design, and I believe somwhat over engineered. Without digging through the stash I cannot be sure, there might be a couple of sprues common with the Prinz, the were noticably different, ships, I know the hulls are different mouldings, that was the first comparison I made when I had both in may stash… If the upper and lower hull halves are anything to go by, which did test my knwoledge of profanities, I not expecting much from the rest of the kit.

Appreciate the heads up on the cranes, I reckon I will take a more cautious aproach before removing any moulded detail for replacement with etch. regardless of the source.

Thnaks for looking in mate.

Cheers, Si

1 Like

You mean, Russ, right, Si? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hi Russ,

Apologies mate, indeed I did :pensive:

Cheers, Si :beers:

1 Like

All good mate :grinning::grinning::grinning:

1 Like

Hi Si,

great to see keel laying for Hipper! And the fit issues with upper/lower hull, particularly the stern part, are quite common for those Trumpy kits - Graf Spee, Repulse, Hood - almost the same issues. I’m still looking forward to build her! And of course following your build log!

August 1940 was rather uneventful. I dinged something out of my references, PM not to offend any copyright…

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the PM, very interesting, sent you over the photo I found, again not sure on the copyright.

The horizontally split hulls are a real pain, I was quite glad when Trumpy moved to single peice. I am amking progress, will post an update later this week.

Always glad to have aboard mate,

Cheers. Si

1 Like

A bit more progress, after getting the join between the top and bottom hull halves as close to invisbile as possible, sprayed with Citadel mephitson red.

The anti fouling masked and a mix of tamiya XF66 and XF19 sprayed for the base mittlegrau.

The mouled on Anchor cables removed to allow the Pontos deck to fit. the pack for the deck does

contain some very nice pre blackened achor cable.

The deck sprayed XF19 and fitted in place, the boot topping also painted in.

Cheers, Si

4 Likes

Nice progress. Si - the hull looks beautiful!

1 Like

Thanks Tim,

The Hippers are good looking ships, very elegant hull lines.

Cheers, Si

1 Like

Hi Si,

nice to see some progress on the Hipper, and I couldn’t agree more, about the most elegant ships/hull lines I know on WW II warships.
So you are lightening the XF 66 up a little? Well, other than with RN colors, we don’t have - at least to my knowledge - no original paint chips for DKM colors. Shorts & Snyders go with best guesses there, too… For my Gneisenau I’m using XF 66 for hull, as the darker grey, and XF 19 for the lighter grey superstructure. But for you it’s only the base coat, I’m really looking forward to watch you doing the camouflage!

Cheers
Jan

Hi Jan,

Guilty as charged, I would normally use XF66 straight from the jar, but with t four other distinct shades of grey in the scheme, and some looking a bit washed out I wanted to get a touch more contrast on the hull.

I may be wrong, but I think it looks about right. I have made a start, I hope to get some photos on within the next week.

Unfortunately little time at the bench over the last week or so.

Thank you for looking in. :beers:

Cheers,

Si

1 Like

questa è la prua di Hipper nel 1941 mi sembra molto diversa dal modello di trumpeter , ti prego di controllare altre fonti prima di proseguire ciao

1 Like

Hi Francesco,

Thank you for posting, that is a very intersting photograph. It appears to the Hipper in drydock in Brest January 1940 undergoing routine maintainence, certainly the camo patern looks right for that time, the main turret tops would be red. Oddly the box art in the kit is the ship in Norway the summer of 1940. It has a few minor changes in that period, which I will address, the aftermarket will deal with most of those issues. Any other issues, some I will fix, others I will live with.

Cheers,

Si

Molto felice di essere stato di aiuto

A little progress the Camo going on.

The superstructure deck has been assembled, to give me a guide for the patterm.

A few more bits of structure added to aide placement,

More soon, might be around for a couple weeks, more after that.

Cheers.

Si

9 Likes

Holy Moly, Si! Are you painting on the camo details by using the MK1 eyeball and a hairy stick?! :astonished:

I tip my hat sir! That’s not something I was ever able to master! :clap: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

Hi Russ,

Back from holiday today, not got to the bench yet. This is all done with the old hairy stick, it appears from the photos that this scheme evolved, and rather than try and mask every panel this makes it look more rough and ready. It is scary doing it this way.

Thank you for your kind comment.

Cheers, Si

1 Like

Bit of a gap in updates, but this scheme has been a time consuming.

Here you go. Getting there

Both sides of the hull done.

Well nearly, I did notice one patch of medium grey missing on the port bow. that has been fixed.

The Pontos deck fitted.

The gaps filled on the superstructure parts, and the etch strting to go on.

Mostly etch work now to get these sub assemblies ready for the windy stick.

More soon(ish)

Cheers, Si

5 Likes

A small update.

The etch on the lower funnel section completed,

and the hanger

more soon, not that probable before Christmas, but i might be lucky and find the time.

If not Happy Christnas shipmates.

Cheers, Si

7 Likes